Portrait

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Sharkbait, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

This is my wife, taken last fall. This is one of the first shots I got with my 300D, only a day or two after picking it up. :D

I love the short DOF that the longer lens gives (this was taken with the 70-200)

[​IMG]

2. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like this picture. I like the placement of you subject and the short DOF really focuses your eyes on your lovely wife. Her face seems to be dark and possibly a little red.

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice smile! Direct sun can be tough. I think I would turn her head a little so that more light would fall on it. Right now her face is all in shadow. Nice use of DOF. She's all in focus and the background isn't distracting.

4. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Yep, I agree about the lighting. I haven't gone back yet to try and dodge some of the darker areas to bring up the lighting a bit. This was really just a snapshot with the new camera that I thought turned out really well. :D

5. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    Man... even your snapshots look great.... that is so not fair!

6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a very nice image. The backlit conditions aren't harsh enough to have made extreme shadows; there is plenty of detail on her face. Sure, if you'd had flash, a bit of fill-in would have been nice in this situation, but what the hey? :D

And, pssst! dude! We photo-geeks NEVER call our snapshots "snapshots".... we call them "candids". :wink: And this is a beautiful example of a candid.

7. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Gotcha. ;)

8. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Great shot of a very pretty lady....only problem in my opinion is the crop, my preference would be less horizontal and more vertical.

9. manda

manda instigator of pottymouthedness

wow
    i love this
    you take fabulous portraits sharky!

10. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Wow, you are a natural then. I acutally like the shadow on her face and the sun hitting only the backside of her head. It gives the picture a more unique artistic style to it rather than a "perfect clinical" look to it. Don't get me wrong. It's nice to take pictures with perfect lighting and perfect everything else but sometimes certain "flaws" give pictures more character and style.

11. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, this is what I thought right yesterday when I saw this photo for the first time: I quite like the fact that the face is not in the sun, so it does not catch too many harsh shadows but comes out smooth - and I very much like the light from the back lighting up her hair and her EAR. I just LOVE this "translucent" ear!

I'm one who tends to take horizontal portrait photos, so I will just whisper in MrSid's direction, that this way is MY personal preference in portraits. And I find your, Shark's, wife is placed well: the back of her head to the smaller right, and a larger part of the photo left for the direction she's (or might be in the next second) looking at. I'm happy about as much of the background as there is, diffused as it may be by a perfect DOF, because the background COLOUR, along with the quality of light, make obvious that this was taken in autumn.

Not forgetting to say that you're blessed with a beautiful wife, Shark!!!