Portraite of ballerina

emayd

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
1305MG_4994_f_bw.jpg

I love it! Reminds me of old b&w movies. Nice lighting and color. Im a big fan of eye contact, but it doesnt really matter to me in this shot. Nice work.

The tones are beautiful.
I'm not always one for direct eye contact, but I wish I could see a little more of her left eye. It almost looks blurry because of the shadow. That's just me picking...very nice shot :thumbup:

I am a fan of the light situations that you usually get for your photos!
And I like the tones!

Do you remember that I was asked to take rehearsal pics in the regular rehearsal room of the small-town-ballett-school my daughter goes to? Well, I took some to test out the lighting situation on Monday (while my "job" is on Sunday), and nothing I so far managed to produced comes anywhere near to your work.

OK, one difference is that you apparently photograph professionals, in full stage make up and all, and in stage lighting, while the kids who I photographed are just kids, their teacher offers ballet lessons to just about everyone who wants to come and try to dance, they have no money for costumes, everything is adapted to the kids' abilities, so their Coppelia is just a compilation of dances and scenes losely following the original that the different dance groups can perform ... which accounts for my photos to being so different.

But you have taught me a lot already and I tried to put SOME of what I have seen in your ballet photos up here so far into my work at the rehearsal, with absolutely low budget means (a work light and my slide projector, shining through the room without slides) ... and well... the ballet teacher was over the moon with the first examples I could show her...

But I wish I would some day be able to photograph something as precious as you get to see so regularly...

Thanks LaFoto for you comment. Sorry that my English is very limited, and you can’t read on Russian ( … or you can?).
I know some very good photo lessons about taking pictures from children - http://www.rozov.ru/ . It has nothing common with light adjusting. It’s more about how to put children in some mentality state. It’s good when light and mentality have crossed together. But unfortunately it happens very rare. Try to concentrate first on mentality. Try to give children some task that they have no time to think that you are taking picture now. Try to find place inside room where the background and light will work for you. Make task for children that they need cross that area during this exercise. Use help of other children to ask something in that time. Etc. etc. etc.

May be this help you.

This is gorgeous - you've done an amazing job with the tones in this photo. I really really like its simplicity.

love the light and the tones work well! thanks for sharing

Most reactions

Back