Portraits in home "studio" :(

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by dylj, Jun 22, 2008.

1. dylj

dylj TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm working with one SB-24 bouncing off walls and ceiling, and one bedsheet taped to a closet. I would greatly appreciate tips regarding innovative lighting techniques (but please take into consideration that I only have one strobe as of now :(), any great DIY homemade tools I can use, posing the model, cropping and post-processing.

Thanks a lot! :hail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Considering your conditions, the lighting's not bad at all. I would use a reflector to fill on the right side of his face (A large piece of white or light yellow card stock works well, as will a automobile windshield heat reflector). The highlights on his left side are just a touch strong (maybe 1/3 stop) for my taste, but not bad.
    Bring your model out further from the backdrop if you can, or use a shallower DoF so that the background is just a soft blue suggestion rather than an obviously wrinkled sheet.
    In the first picture I would suggest recropping it to includ all of his head, but less clavicle/shoulder area; the shirt "straps" look rather out of place in this image.
    In the second image, a crop to off-centre teh subject would help; since he's leaning to his right and looking slightly in that direction, I would crop the right side of the image (his left).
    As for DiY, I don't do a lot of portraiture, but I've had good luck with constuction lights and bleach-bottle diffusers in the past. Hope that helps.