Portraits in London

hdcol101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took this the other day in London quite proud of it. Thought I would share.

One thing I feel like i can never get the hang of is colour correction. Anybody got any tips? I think I got lucky with this one.
Capture%2B_2017-07-17-17-26-00-1.png

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

use a ColorChecker Passport

If you are in LR, use the eye dropper for WB on the shoes, they should be white.
white balance looks fine on my display.
the focus however seems completely off
Not so much that I personally wouldn't see it as a fault.
I'll have to respectfully disagree; in portraiture you really can't quantify missed focus. Missed focus = circular file.
With this type of image, which I would consider a fashion image that tells a bit of a story and not a portrait, focus in my opinion becomes less important, but certainly not entirely unimportant. As photographers, it's definitely something we should be pointing out to each other and critiquing, but I would never lead a photographer to believe it was a failure due to some soft focus. It would be a different story if the focus was unintentionally 3 feet off, or a headshot where the face is out of focus but the ears are sharp (with no jewelry), but in this case it's so subtle and it takes nothing away from the image that I personally wouldn't see it as a fail.

Last edited:
If you are in LR, use the eye dropper for WB on the shoes, they should be white.
the focus however seems completely off
Not so much that I personally wouldn't see it as a fault.
I'll have to respectfully disagree; in portraiture you really can't quantify missed focus. Missed focus = circular file.
With this type of image, which I would consider a fashion image that tells a bit of a story and not a portrait, focus in my opinion becomes less important, but certainly not entirely unimportant. As photographers, it's definitely something we should be pointing out to each other and critiquing, but I would never lead a photographer to believe it was a failure due to some soft focus. It would be a different story if the focus was unintentionally 3 feet off, or a headshot where the face is out of focus but the ears are sharp (with no jewelry), but in this case it's so subtle and it takes nothing away from the image that I personally wouldn't see it as a fail.
Yeah the focus is slightly off, didnt think it was to noticeable unless you zoom right in. This is a low res file too, which probably doesn't help.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I'm not disagreeing with you Dan, the OP asked for tips about WB and that was the first thing that popped into my mind was to do that. (I'm not one to get nit picky about someone elses WB issues because I struggle myself. Which is why I have the colorchecker passport that I try to use every opportunity that I can.)

I'm not disagreeing with you Dan, the OP asked for tips about WB and that was the first thing that popped into my mind was to do that. (I'm not one to get nit picky about someone elses WB issues because I struggle myself. Which is why I have the colorchecker passport that I try to use every opportunity that I can.)
I must have misunderstood the post then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back