Portraits in the back garden

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by kirif1, Nov 13, 2009.

1. kirif1

kirif1 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok so i did a little shoot for a little family hoping that if the pics were good enough, it would lead me to do some freelance work coming up to Christmas. So off i go with my Nikon D50, my flash gun and a white sheet. The house was really dark so i kicked them outside in the garden.

Any comments, advice or crit more than welcome...be brutal if you must :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking :)

2. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ugh. White sheets are so tacky...

The shots themselves aren't bad, but get these people outside, even a fence or green grass backs a better backdrop!

3. iolair

iolair No longer a newbie, moving up!

The flash is still attached to your camera?

You've got a 1.8 lens ... give your subjects a bigger distance from the backdrop and use small DOF by picking a wide aperture. That will throw any blemishes on the backdrop way out of focus.

4. kirif1

kirif1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for commenting, the further back i went the more of the garden background was in the shot and less of the sheet. As much as a white sheet may be tacky, a terribly messy garden full of junk did nothing for a family shoot either.

I agree entirely however that my DOF was too small, was a tad worried that i'd blur the subjects not only the background.

The flash is indeed still on my camera as it is a Nikon D50 and it doesn't sync :(

5. FarrahJ

FarrahJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I doubt that...get far enough away with a wide enough aperture and it'll be OOF...or get head shots and very little of the backgound will be visible.

The least you could do when using a white sheet is iron it or PS out the wrinkles.

You also don't have great light in their eyes. They are kinda squinty...perhaps a reflector would help.

6. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what flash do you have? grab a sync cable for $20usd. i did, and it changed my photography :thumbup:
    if its a nikon, it should sync up to 1/250 if im not mistaken.