Portraits of my buddy *1st time using umbrella*

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by nmaynard, Mar 28, 2010.

1. nmaynard

nmaynard TPF Noob!

Well... I ordered a light setup this past week and some of it got here friday. My umbrella and light stand did. I bought a Photogenic 60" Halo White/Black cover umbrella and a 10ft Smith Vector stand. I have to wait til monday for my alienbee 1600 and vagabond II to arrive.

Sooo, I couldn't wait til monday to shoot something so I figured I would see how well my little 430exII would do at night. And it surprised me! I never used more than 1/4 power. Although I was shooting at 2.8 and 3.5 most the time. Which now that I reflect upon my experience hurt me in a few places.

Also, I think my camera is going bad or something. I have noticed lately the focus is off. A lot of shots are turning out way to soft. And it can not focus for crap in low light. Can't wait til I can get the 5dmkII and put my XTi out to pasture!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]#4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice shots considering only one umbrella, and I'm not seeing the softness you're talking about.

But here's the thing. I think (pretty damned sure) there's a rule that the main light is to be one the short side of the face, and the fill light on the long side.

3. nmaynard

nmaynard TPF Noob!

I didn't use any of the soft ones. But there were a few good shots that I liked but didn't use cause they were soft.

DOH! on the light thing. I was just having toooo much fun that I didn't even think about that. One thing I did remember was to make sure his eyes were lit well. I'm just trying to shoot as much as I can right now and learn from my mistakes. Do believe I'll remember next time! Thanks.

4. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lighting is decent for your first time. Shots are boring though.

5. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi - can you please explain what you mean by the long side and short side of a face?

6. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The long side is the side facing the camera. There's probably another name for the long and short sides, but I can't, for the life of me, remember what they were.