Portraits with small light modifiers

Guys thanks for hijacking the thread but is there any chance you would look at the photos again, I just did some simple retouching on the skin and uploaded bigger images - you might find them more pleasing this way?

Guys thanks for hijacking the thread but is there any chance you would look at the photos again, I just did some simple retouching on the skin and uploaded bigger images - you might find them more pleasing this way?

Not at all. They are quite amateurish.

I disagree. His lighting sculpts her face quite nicely in all of the images and casts a mood that most amateurs do not know how to achieve. The decision not to retouch them shows a lot more restraint than most amateurs who often over-edit all of their photos and believe that they have to retouch their models beyond recognition.

Last edited:

Perhaps you could post some of your own small-modifier images to demonstrate a professional result?

Or perhaps he can take a break from the forum before one gets imposed on him for the ongoing trolling.

Size, style etc of modifiers would be helpful, I think.
That's excellent point! I've updated the original post with the details. Do you think other info can be useful as well?

Thank you!
I suppose an elaborate detailed illustration of the setups with exact distances and flash powers would be a bit much! LOL really just kidding. The sizes and shapes give about all that is needed, the rest can be pretty well deduced. I find these kind of posts to be quite helpful.

I've just finished a test of two small portable light modifiers for my blog and wanted to share the images I got. Constructive comments and critiques are welcome.

View attachment 115236 View attachment 115237 View attachment 115238 View attachment 115239

The modifiers used are quite small and portable:
The first two images are with 30 cm (12") Octabox.
The second two are with 30x20 cm Softbox.
I would cry if I could get this look. I think they're excellent. I don't know why someone would knock those then back up the knock with helpful guidance. Since they didn't, they are jealous or trolling. Well done sir.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've just finished a test of two small portable light modifiers for my blog and wanted to share the images I got. Constructive comments and critiques are welcome.

View attachment 115236 View attachment 115237 View attachment 115238 View attachment 115239

I would cry if I could get this look. I think they're excellent. I don't know why someone would knock those then back up the knock with helpful guidance. Since they didn't, they are jealous or trolling. Well done sir.

You could get this look! Just be aware of how the light sculpts the face. I found that learning about the makeup technique called "contouring and highlighting", and applying it to the way I light a person really improved my work by a lot.

Fully agree - as you can see the equipment is very basic, practice and knowledge will get you these and better results. And if you have a specific question - I'll be more than happy to answer (if I can :)).

You could get this look! Just be aware of how the light sculpts the face. I found that learning about the makeup technique called "contouring and highlighting", and applying it to the way I light a person really improved my work by a lot.

I'm still trying knots in strings, measuring, writing, and adjusting my speedlights. When I understand that, I will look at sculpts. I tied 16 knots last night. 1 month ago it was 46.

oh.... oh.... it suddenly feels like tpf again....

:586:

op.. keep shooting, practicing, trying, learning, making mistakes and all over again...
and if you stick around, you will get some really helpful tips/pointers etc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back