Portraits

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by sdgmusic, Apr 16, 2008.

1. sdgmusic

sdgmusic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    First off I want to thank everyone for always helping me out.

Given the choice what lens would you use at a portrait shoot:

- Minolta 50mm f/1.7
    - Sony 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I have heard that Macro lenses make awesome portrait lenses too. Myth or Reality? I am thinking about getting rid of my Minolta 50 1.7 and getting either a Sony 50 2.8 Macro or a 50 1.4. If I can use the macro for portraits then it's sold, because it is a more versatile lens correct?

Sean

2. asfixiate

asfixiate TPF Noob!

50 1.4 is what I'd suggest. I'm a canon user and the 1.4 is what I'm probably going to be buying soon. I use 1.8 now. I Might even go with 24-70 L, or 24-105L honestly. You have the minolta now? What's wrong with that?

I'm not very familar with that equipment but I love my 50mm lens even though its a cheap build. Very fast and very good with light.

3. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 1.7 will give you better light if wanted and the macro would be useless as the magnification would not be to useful in portraiture.

4. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you want a macro lens, that will also do portraiture well, then the 50 f/2.8 macro will do fine.

However, the 50 f/1.4 wll do better for portraits.

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't NEED a fast lens in portrature and the focal point of the lens you use depends on space. If you are outside, you can use a 70-200 on a cropped sensor with a lot of room. In my home studio, my 30mm barely gets me a face in the room I have... my 18-50mm Sigma is almost mandatory if I want 1/2 to full body shots.

Good strobes and a deeper DOF to avoid blurring ears, noses, necks and what not are usually acheived between F/5.6 and F/8... so putting the lens at F/1.4 is a recepie for a bad shot (GENERALLY SPEAKING!)

6. Judge Sharpe

Judge Sharpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Portrait lenses used to be fairly soft so as to not emphasise any blemishes. I 35mm I have found that 135mm provided just the DoF and a certain amount of foreshortening needed to do portraits. I am not sure what a 50mm lens on a dslr corresponds to but it should be narrow enough to work for portraits. Your lighting will of course depend on the speed of the lens and the film speed- asa or iso as it is known now.
    This most likely does not tell you a darn thing but sometimes you have to put up with the ramblings of old men.
    Judge Sharpe