Portraits!

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are not something I normally do. I need practice. I got some the other day. I did a shoot with my new friend Megan, who needed some head shots. She's an aspiring actress. Here's two that she picked out the of the 157 that I shot :p

What do you guys think?

242_bw.jpg

203_bw.jpg

I'm going to clean up the stray hairs on her forehead before I print.

I think the quality of the pics is very very good.

As for the angle I like #2 best. In # 1 she's doing something funny with her neck or the camera is too close. It makes her face seem broader. She looks like a good model though. Very at ease with the camera.

These are nice. I like the pose in #2 the best. My only suggestions would be to get some additional light on her right (as you face the photo that is) and to increase the contrast a bit in the black and white. I've always found that if the eyes stand out with excellent lighting it makes the whole portrait pop even that much more.

These are great shots, and I can't believe you have don't more portraits, it looks like you have a natural gift :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot everyone :) FYI, these were just proof jpgs that I made a gallery out of, for Megan to pick which ones she wanted. They were just very quickly and lightly retouched. I made 3 prints today, and balanced out the exposure on her face and increased the contrast. I gave her the prints after work and she loved them. *phew* I fooled another person into thinking I'm a photographer! :p

#2 was her favorite, and mine as well :)

Thanks again everyone. I'm slowly building my confidence in my portrait ability.

Thanks Pilgrim. I think 75% of portrait photography is making your subject feel comfortable. I'm glad we got together and had dinner a few days before the shoot, and I got to know her a bit, got to know her sense of humor, and was able to make her laugh and relax the whole time. There's a lot of trust involved.

I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. :)

jadin said:
Next thing we know you'll be posting nudes! ;) I kid I kid.

LOL...no, I think Alyssajns24 has a jump on him in the nude category. :wink:

Portraits are tough... Some have an easy time at it. For me it can be battle. I think these frames are strong. The lighting/exposure seems faltering. Her eyes are super strong. The hairs on her forehead does not bother me. They are natural and cute. If I see one more perfectly airbrushed face and or body I am going to puke. Again, that is a whole other story.

Critically, the pose may be a little rough. To me she seems a little compressed. Keep in mind that these shots are for casting. A strong representation of the client has to be conveyed under 1 second. Meaning that you should shoot for "I am a great actress" as opposed to "I am cute" Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks Jadin :)

Thanks craig. I based these poses off of some sample head shots she had, which were done by a pro, (can't remember his name, but he has studios in NY, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh). They were shot from above just like this. These weren't the only poses I took either. I took 157 from every angle under the sun, but she liked these best, and I did too, really. Let me show you a sample of the finished product, with border and title, and see what you think.

megan_sample.jpg

I don't know exactly how to shoot for "I am a great actress" I don't know how you convey that in a portrait. What she wanted were some shots that looked like her, and showed her personality, and frankly, she is a "cute" girl. That what you think when you meet her, so I think these do potray that.

Thanks a lot for your comments craig.

You've got some nice work happening there. Both are good but I think #2 is the better shot. It may just be the monitor but it looks like her left eye on the first shot is just a little soft.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back