Portraiture

abovenormphotos

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Do share you thoughts on the following two photos!
Fort Canning - Singapore
Model - Nic

NicFortCan-178-Edit-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr

NicoletteFortCanning 1 by Above Norm, on Flickr

35467572736_f6cbc9dc3e_z.jpg
NicFortCan-178-Edit-Edit[/url] by Above Norm, on Flickr[/IMG]

Both look great. The jacket interrupts the composition of the first shot, so I think it would have been better without.

I have to say they are cracking shots.
If you got the model to wear the jacket in the first shot that may have created some nice contrast between the colours.

I have to say they are cracking shots.
If you got the model to wear the jacket in the first shot that may have created some nice contrast between the colours.

Thanks Shafty!
Good idea with the jacket. Totally forgot about it at that time. But you're right, the contrast would have been interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I don't do portrait photography but I'd figured I'll comment anyways as I'm looking at them from a slightly different perspective. Maybe it could help or not!

So the first one, I actually really like. The lighting is excellent, the tones are wonderful and the composition is thought out. The model's expression is perfect! However, I find the jacket on her lap really distracting me. It just looks messy to me. I'd would have taken some shots without the jacket in frame and some with her wearing the jacket. It's always good to have options! Maybe you already did this, I dunno.

The second one honestly, doesn't do much for me. I mean it's a good photo but it looks underexposed. It's just too dark and the red dress and bright orange background is a bit distracting. There isn't much contrast between the colors. Maybe if you had her wear the denim jacket that might have been enough to have some sort of separation and adding a little more light to the subject would've made it more stand out more.

Like I said, I'm not a portrait photographer so I'm simply just stating my observations. Hope you get something from it.

Good shots. Not sure about the jacket and the arm posing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I don't do portrait photography but I'd figured I'll comment anyways as I'm looking at them from a slightly different perspective. Maybe it could help or not!

So the first one, I actually really like. The lighting is excellent, the tones are wonderful and the composition is thought out. The model's expression is perfect! However, I find the jacket on her lap really distracting me. It just looks messy to me. I'd would have taken some shots without the jacket in frame and some with her wearing the jacket. It's always good to have options! Maybe you already did this, I dunno.

The second one honestly, doesn't do much for me. I mean it's a good photo but it looks underexposed. It's just too dark and the red dress and bright orange background is a bit distracting. There isn't much contrast between the colors. Maybe if you had her wear the denim jacket that might have been enough to have some sort of separation and adding a little more light to the subject would've made it more stand out more.

Like I said, I'm not a portrait photographer so I'm simply just stating my observations. Hope you get something from it.

Thanks for dropping by!

Whether or not you're a portrait photographer, your opinions as a viewer is very much appreciated!

Glad you like the first one. And yeah. The jacket has been a recurring complaint. Unfortunately, I didn't get one that I liked without the jacket.

I see where you are coming from with the comments on the "red" photo. I was trying to go for a darker, moodier feel. But you are right about the lack of separation of subject and background. Should try to make the subject pop more.

Thanks again!

Good shots. Not sure about the jacket and the arm posing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks for dropping by! Yeah. The jacket has been a recurring point of concern. Thanks for highlighting.

Do share more about the arm poses. Would love to hear how to improve on it.

Cheers!

That second shot is on fire! What fantastic light! I love the geometry in the first frame and have to agree about the pose/jacket but I do like that she's opposing the direction of the rest of the frame.

Most reactions

Back