Portriat C&C

jeytee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out with a friend recently and I really liked this picture out of the set we took. Known her for a really long time so it was really easy to direct and convey what I was trying to do.
She couldn't keep a straight face most of the time though haha. The 2nd one is more for fun, but I think it was fun still :)

Just look for some critique on it! Thanks.

Last edited:
Nice captures on both, though I like the second more as it seems to show the personality of the lady peeking out. The only negative I see is that it appears that the eyes are not sharp, but that may be my tablet.

Edit: Just looked at this on my monitor, and apparently it was my tablet, not sure why it does that sometimes.

Last edited:
These are nice, casual portraits; a few thoughts for future work: Consider leaving a bit more room around the subject, especially to the side he or she is looking. In #2, you've cropped bits of her hair off, which appears more careless composition than deliberate artistic choice. Also watch your cropping; over or under the breasts is fine, but through should be avoided. Lastly, consider your backgrounds. While you've made good use of depth of field and selective focus, the background is still rather distracting with linear elements (a tree?) competing with the subject. I'm willing to bet that turning just a bit would have reduced or eliminated that.

Nice casual portraits.
I totally agree with tirediron except I would toss the second for protruding tongue, double chin and upper arm looks overfleshy. (ask subject to move her arm just a bit outward from her body so the fleash isn't compressed to look begger than it is.)
Note that from the nose down her skin is brighter than around her eyes.
Her arm is brighter than her face.

Darken selectively, warm, denoise

upload_2017-7-9_7-49-47.png

Nice!

I'd clone out some of the tree lines in the background. I'll take a stab and post later today...

OK- I lighted the eyes .31 stops and brought up the highlights a tad to accentuate the eye catches. Changed the crop a smidge, dropped the contrast a touch along with the clarity slider just a tiny bit. Took the healing brush and tried to brush down the jarring edges in the bokeh above her head. Please feel free to ignore this as I have neither training nor experience in portraiture so my input is worth precisely what you are paying me. ;) Just thinking out loud, basically. I thought you did a good job. Certainly better than I would have captured.
35602466512_3884723c13_z.jpg

Most reactions

Back