Pos/neg film and PS

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by carusoswi, Jul 15, 2007.

1. carusoswi

carusoswi TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, so, I've always known that negative film has more latitude and is more forgiving in terms of proper exposure than slide film. I don't remember the last time I shot a roll of slides.

Here is my question. I generally shoot negative film in either my Minolta Maxxum 9000 or Nikon N60, have the negs developed at a 1hr place, then, scan them at 2400 or higher DPI, then touch them up in PS.

Obviously, I can adjust exposure to my liking within reason.

If I chose to shoot slides, would I not still have the option to make the same sort of adjustments in PS?

Is there a downside to using slide film in the work flow described above?

Thanks.

Caruso

2. dinodan

dinodan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know anything about Photoshop. However, I have scanned lots of 35mm slides and negatives, and have not noticed any difference in their ability to be manipulated (at least as far as the limited things I do, contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc.) once they're digitized. If anything, I like the results obtained with positive film (Kodachrome and E6) a little bit better. Give it a try!

3. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is going to depend entirely on the quality of your scanner. In my experience, it's easier to pull out shadow detail from a negative than a positive, but that's scanned with a Nikon Coolscan 9000. On a flatbed, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

4. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Max,
    Sorry to hijack the thread but tried to PM you and can't. But I gotta question for you. I just got a LS8000 in great condition. I understand that the 9000 is a little better at pulling detail out of shadows. The 8000 with a D-max of something like 4.3, the 9000 at 4.8. Do you have any experience with the 8000? Will there be a noticeable difference in scans between the two? I am impressed with the scans so far but I can only compair them to a LS2000. Anything I need to watch out for? I will use it mostly with 6 X 6 negs. It did come with the glass filmstrip holder. Sorry to ramble, but in a hurry. Any input would be helpful.
    TIA, John.