Pose ideas for an over weight bride and groom

When you look up you can lose some chin. So find some high ground if you have it. If not, get a ladder.
I do believe I'll take a step ladder and have them sit in a few. I'm going early that morning to scope out the location, maybe I'll get lucky and find higher ground. I just looked over some examples and I think I can get some nice shots that way.

Since he is so tall, have him sit in a few pics and have her posing behind him. May have to take some pics of them before the wedding to practice how to pose them.
That's a good idea, thanks. Unfortunately I won't have time to pose with them before, they want to stick with tradition and not see each other, and our schedules aren't allowing us to meet anytime before that. I will just have to plan it out the best I can on my own and do some quick trial and error until I find what works.

Try to add distracting elements to the shots, like sheep. They can pose behind them or even next to them so as to draw the eyes off the couple and onto the sheep. This will work like a charm.

HAHAHA I don't believe sheep were invited but I'll keep that in mind for the future! lol

Do the tuck pose, 3/4 posing, and accentuate your subjects on the shadow side rather then the highlight side. These are some basics that will thin them out. Also shoot down at your subjects, in addition don't have them sit(as flesh will fold and garments will ride up). I also have some of my clients breathe in and hold it, like they're anticipating a kiss or a hug. Have your clients shift their weight away from the camera, towards the rear hip for both guys and gals. You can also use the garments like the veil, train to cover some body parts. Shadows shadows shadows and 3/4th posing is key!

Doug G, the king of flow posing might give you some ideas as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the tuck pose, 3/4 posing, and accentuate your subjects on the shadow side rather then the highlight side. These are some basics that will thin them out. Also shoot down at your subjects, in addition don't have them sit(as flesh will fold and garments will ride up). I also have some of my clients breathe in and hold it, like they're anticipating a kiss or a hug. Have your clients shift their weight away from the camera, towards the rear hip for both guys and gals. You can also use the garments like the veil, train to cover some body parts. Shadows shadows shadows and 3/4th posing is key!

Thank you thank you!!

Since he is so tall, have him sit in a few pics and have her posing behind him. May have to take some pics of them before the wedding to practice how to pose them.
That's a good idea, thanks. Unfortunately I won't have time to pose with them before, they want to stick with tradition and not see each other, and our schedules aren't allowing us to meet anytime before that. I will just have to plan it out the best I can on my own and do some quick trial and error until I find what works.

I don't think that the suggestion here refers to the wedding day, but prior to the day, and that would certainly be a benefit. I have also asked brides to to show me any pictures they have seen which they feel they would like, the same could be applied to a "size" couple large or small. They may have seen friend's wedding photos, and often, larger folk have similar sized friends. Trial and error on "THE" day is a dangerous plan, you tend not to get a second chance.

Just my thoughts.

Most reactions

Back