Posing Models

I

Iron Flatline

Sooo.... I asked a couple of people if they would want to model for me while I learn to use some new gear, and they're actually into it.

The problem is, I don't know how to pose people. I've worked with some models before, but they knew what they were doing and were quite generous with their time, patience, and experience.

Now I need to pose my friends, because in return for modeling they expect some cool images. Is there a modeling and posing book anyone can recommend? Better yet, is there a site?

And to head off the obvious suggestion... yes, I will be emulating some of the poses I see in other photographs.

What type of shooting are you doing? Head shots, full body, artistic, fashion... or a mix of them all? I would think that each type of shooting has its own set of posing guidelines.

Head shots are focus on facial estetics. Rounder faces shouldn't be shot straight on while longer noses might be more flattering head on.

I'm comfortable with head shots, but your question is sensible... as is your assumption that it's a little of all. Some of the shots include the whole body, whereas many will be about the torso and especially the arms... Good Lord, I understand why a lot of sculpture apprentices in the Renaissance didn't bother with arms and hands.

If it bends, bend it.

Have them place their weight on their back foot and lean forward slightly at the waist.

Don't let them level their shoulders, have one side or the other higher. Don't have a male tilting his head to the raised side unless you want to show him as effeminate.

Don't have them turned so much that it appears that they have no foundation to support their heads.

There should be white showing on either side of an iris. How much is up to you but there should be some.

Their should also be skin around each eye showing.

If the face is round or heavy, have the side that is in shadow most prominent to the lens. Do the opposite for a long, thin face. (the well lit portion will gain more attention and as it's narrower, the face will appear narrower) For double chins shoot well above them and have the model looking up to stretch the skin under the chin.

Long sleeves or a jacket of darker cloth for a head shot or 3/4 or less. Skin attracts attention and you want the face to be the star of the photo.

That should do for a start. I'm sure that others are itching to add to the list. ;)

Also Google Joe Zeltsman, he passed away recently and he may in fact be the father of modern portraiture. There used to be a site called "ask the old pro" that was 16 chapters of his technique.

Read all the rules. Then throw them out the window. At this point the most important thing is to develop YOUR style. Simply start shooting. You will quickly figure out what works for you and where you want the photos to go. I know you have the knowledge. Experience is the key.

Love & Bass

)'(

Wow. I'm amazed and alarmed at the techniques and tips that never occurred to me before. Everything in this hobby/profession is such a pandora's box.

Thanks everyone... Daunting, but I am confident I'll figure this out. I am shooting a male model tomorrow, let's see what I come up with.

Strange... My first "model" shoot was male. To this day it is some of the strongest work I have ever done. Your confidence is the correct approach. You will come up with some amazing work and I can not wait to see it.

Love & Bass

)'(

I'm comfortable with head shots, but your question is sensible... as is your assumption that it's a little of all. Some of the shots include the whole body, whereas many will be about the torso and especially the arms... Good Lord, I understand why a lot of sculpture apprentices in the Renaissance didn't bother with arms and hands.

I do alot of model portfolios and also boudoir shoots and always have my clients (unless they are pro models that know what they are doing ) bring images they like from www.istockphoto.com or shutterstock.There are great ideas and it really helps them and me figure out what their style is an it helps tremendously with posing them! Some people are just impossible to pose even if you do have a photo to go off of but 99% of the time, it works great!

Good idea. I've actually done it the other way around as well last week. I showed various images to two people whom I am going to shoot soon. I discussed the pictures with them, and it was clear that they responded to some of them stronger than others... and we will emulate some of those.

one thing that i certainly need to work on when shooting people is to keep the setting light hearted and casual...
keep a conversation going, and shoot the whole time...dont necessarily wait for there to be a pause in life to snap one.
things will look more natural and flowing.

i look forward to seeing the pics from the shoot.

good luck!

one thing that i certainly need to work on when shooting people is to keep the setting light hearted and casual...
keep a conversation going, and shoot the whole time...dont necessarily wait for there to be a pause in life to snap one.
things will look more natural and flowing.

i look forward to seeing the pics from the shoot.

good luck!

Agreed !!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back