Posing Techniques

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by canonguy12, Jul 21, 2010.

1. canonguy12

canonguy12 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Where is the best place to look for posing techniques?

I want to start doing people photography, but I am inexperienced in this area as I shoot more photojournalistic pictures (work for the university paper). I finally got the capability to go OCF, so any tips about lighting would also be appreciated (obviously strobist :sexywink:)

2. crimbfighter

crimbfighter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

My suggestion is to read up on the subject. For posing, simply google "photography posing books" and it will bring up a slew of them. I'm sure someone on here could recommend a specific one, but I haven't read them myself.

As for lighting, the best recommendation I got when I asked that question, was the book "Light Science and Magic". Excellent read if you wan't to learn everything you didn't know about lighting.

There was also a thread posted recently which linked YouTube videos titled "Digital Photography 1 on 1". It's a 20 part series of instructional videos for lighting and equipment choice. I found it informative.

3. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I prefer books specifically about posing nudes because they seem to be more attuned to the subtleties of it than general books about posing clothed people. It's not just "here are some poses to try and some basic rules to follow." They tend to get really into it. The lessons learned are, of course, applicable to people wearing clothes. YMMV.

4. canonguy12

canonguy12 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, will look for some books. Also just ordered "Light: Science and Magic," I remember one of my friends getting it and she told me it was great.

Alpha- are there any particular books that were especially helpful for you?