Posing

jackieclayton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mominmarianas.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wanted to do some research on the general do's and don't's of posing... can anyone recommend a good book or website?

Reason i'm asking (and DH would kill me if he knew i said this on a forum)... but I've been begging my husband to let me practice on him, and he's always unsatisfied with the shots because he says his face always looks too fat. Like double chins and stuff... I (of course and will always) think my husband looks great but I want him to be satisified and feel good about his picture. There has to be some ways you portrait photographers snap "difficult" subjects and so it made me want to research some of the "posing rules." tried a quick google search and didn't really see what I wanted...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! thanks!! :mrgreen:

i don't know of any good posing books or that but scott kelby's books are really great, he has several chapers on photographing people

if he is worried about a double chin there are a few things you can do

a 3/4 shot of the face, and also a higher view point, doesn't have to be that much higher, also lighting can help.

he can also sort of stick his neck out and combined with a higher view point it helps.

just a few things to try

just tell him that you won't show anyone any that he doesn't like that you just want to practise. or you could always say i'll give you ..... (insert favour here) if you let me.

As though figuring out our camera, setting up lights, adjusting settings, focusing, and making sure the background is clear isn't enough, people want me to pose them! lol (joking of course)
I have just started doing portraits and senior pictures and I can tell you the posing part is HARD. I really have to work at it. I printed off a guide for poses but it just gives you examples. I end up having about 4 or 5 poses I keep going back to and using for nearly every shoot. I have also almost decided to only shoot women so that I can focus on one type of portraits and posing and not go all over the board until I get more comfortable.
Sorry for the rant. I think the suggestion of having the camera above eye level, maybe use a reflector below his face, face turned slightly and chin ever so slightly up.
Post a shot so we can see where you are and maybe offer some advice.

Here is a nice guide to classic portraiture
http://jzportraits.home.att.net/

Many people have a natural instinct to pull their head back when posing for a photo. Sort of a 'hold your head high' type of thing. The problem is that this is the worst thing you can do, if you are prone to a double chin etc.

What we (as photographers) need to do, is to constantly remind people to hold their head forward. For most people, this is a rather unnatural feeling position, so they easily slip out of it, so that's why we need to keep reminding them. Practice it yourself, while looking in the mirror.

Lighting, more so than posing, is often the key, particularly with faces.

Do you know the difference between broad and short lighting?

Camera position can also help. Shooting larger people from above can give a slimming effect or minimize a double chin.

hey all, i'm so sorry i forgot about this post! :blushing:

thanks for the tips and websites given...

I'd love to post a picture of what i'm talking about, but I'm sure DH doesn't want a picture of me describing and critiquing his double chin on a public forum... lol!

And KmH... do I don't know the difference between broad and short lighting, I will do some research, thanks!

I appreciate the help... i'm gonna research and practice and perhaps I can post a "before and after" and see what you guys think.

Most reactions

Back