Possible future project- serious critique wanted

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a real serious critique on this photo. I'm thinking about starting a larger project to go along with it, and just want to know what yall think about the initial shots. Be as brutal as you can.

newspaperguy_and_jesus.jpg

hi trog,

sorry if a disapoint your masochistic tendencies but i don't hate the shot, in fact its my favourite here i've seen ya post!

Quick notes.

1. The main thing that kills this photo for is the silver pole right nearly down the middle, divides picture in sections, makes me have trouble focusing. It was the first thing I thought. It would be great to see all of the background sign there
2. Themematically i love it. The signs make it interesting. You have Jesus, wealth (the other sign) and a guy near the crossroads. you can chuck in a lot of meaning into this. To me its very 'America' - I don't mean that in a negative way at all. Choices are presented here, what will the man choose?
3. I would dig this shot is black in white, it would make the them starker more too the point. Cloudy days are great for b&w.

Now if it weren't for the darn pole...

Seriously, I love the direction you are heading in this photo trog. I find it chock full of symbolism.

I'm looking for a real serious critique on this photo. I'm
thinking about starting a larger project to go along with it

actually, it would help to know more about the project to judge the
pic better... I kinda see a juxtaposition between the guy (what
is he doing anyway) and the billboards

anyhow here's my 2c

1) shot on a hazy day - needs more contrast (use a filter or
tweak it in PS)

2) get rid the pole on the left

3) I personally don't like the format/crop

4) change the angle, bring it more to the point - closer to the guy,
billboard in his back (if my guess 'bout the theme was right)

Heres where i'm going with the project. I feed homeless every weekend downtown and I don't think the people that live in this city realize how many homeless there are (we're a very rich white city) and I want to show people this side of the city. This guy is one of the homeless guys (i realize its hard to tell that in the photo, but in the context of the larger project it would make better sense. ) he sells newspapers on the corner on sundays for moeny. In honesty von, i hadn't even thought about the god/money thing. The idea I was going for was that god loves this guy even tho he's homeless, but since you mentioned it, it did add a lot to my personal view of the photo, thanks.

I really hate the poles in the middle of this photo also, but there's not a whole lot I could do about it at the time. I really wanted to get a picture with him right under (or really close to) the jesus sign. I'll prolly take another shot at this one on another Sunday. Thanks for the great comments.

Doxx, on the format/ crop critique is what you don't like the overall shape (so panoramic like) or the actual crop of the image, if its the crop got any suggestions?

thats what i figured, i just wanted to make sure that you didin't see something i was missing

I haven't posted much, but I feel inclined to do so here.

If you serarate the picture into two theories. The left being Jesus and the right being the Mercades/ Money side. It's as the man is sitting on the "side of money", but he is looking towards the side of Jesus, almost as if he was being "called" or heard something behind him.

Also, the man is sitting way on the right-hand side of the picture (the money side, the furthest away from Jesus). There are MANY things (polls) seperating him from Jesus. The billboard of the Mercades is "flawed" by the poll in the way, while the Jesus billboard is "pure" and without interruption.

I have obviosly read more into this picture than the photgrapher had intended, but you asked! hehe

I'm sure that there are several "photographic" things to correct here, but I just fell in love with the story I got out of the picture.
~Tim

Metimbo said:
I haven't posted much, but I feel inclined to do so here.

If you serarate the picture into two theories. The left being Jesus and the right being the Mercades/ Money side. It's as the man is sitting on the "side of money", but he is looking towards the side of Jesus, almost as if he was being "called" or heard something behind him.

Also, the man is sitting way on the right-hand side of the picture (the money side, the furthest away from Jesus). There are MANY things (polls) seperating him from Jesus. The billboard of the Mercades is "flawed" by the poll in the way, while the Jesus billboard is "pure" and without interruption.

I have obviosly read more into this picture than the photgrapher had intended, but you asked! hehe

I'm sure that there are several "photographic" things to correct here, but I just fell in love with the story I got out of the picture.
~Tim

Man.. are you an English teacher or something? Wow.... I sure didn't catch all of that but I see it now.

yeah, yall are definitly reading more into the photgraph than i was intended, but then on the other hand the intended photo didn't even have to money billboard in it. Despite all the photographic stuff i would like to fix in this photo, with everything yall have pointed out to me, which i see great meaning and validity in, i'm starting to lean away from returning to get the shot, i was originally intending because this has much deeper meaning in it. Thanks guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back