luckydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cracked-lenz.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey people,

Some of you already know that my two hobbies are photography and volunteer fire fighting, well on the weekend i was offered the possibilty of combining the two (officially). I was approached by the manager of our fire district and asked if i was interested in taking on the position of "Volunteer Fire Fighter Photographer". They are applying to head office to make this a recognised position and if so means i'll get called to travel (when i'm available) to different areas to record fires and other incidents as they happen! I will be given access to a company vehicle or if it's a high profile happening thing a helicopter to fly me to the site.

HOW COOL IS THIS!!!!

Will keep you all posted on this one. I'm so excited :)

Congrats. Looks like you'll enjoy yourself.
I wonder if they'd let you sell some of your photographs to the press.

Sounds exciting. I would recommend you work out a payment. If they can afford to give you a company vehicle or a helicopter, they can AND SHOULD pay you for your work.

woowhooo that sounds cool!!! So post some fire pics asap!!!

Tell em you could work full time for em for payment (if thats pos, and if yah want to) wow dude...guess your names right then :p

It's only a volunteer thing so no paying opportunities. In fact there are not too many payed people in the organisation (none at brigade level). My main priority will be to my own station for call outs but if something comes up elsewhere they will ask me if i want to go. They have sort of been doing the job by sending someone out to take pics but have had mixed results. The bonus for them is that i'm a trained fire fighter and know enough not to be a risk or need supervision on the fireground.
I'll do it for the experience, the fun, the excitement, the portfolio, and maybe later hit up newspapers for freelance work.
I need to get my new paying job soon so i can buy my new camera....

What do they plan to do with them? If they're not willing to pay for them, someone will. You'll still own the copyrights, correct?

They will use them in our bulletin's and other publications and maybe PR related stuff. There reasoning for the role is that they are using the same old pics over and over and want some fresh material.

Check into some other similar publications and market them that way. You might also consider selling them as stock images, depending on what you come back with and how often.

That cool Lucky! I have cousins in Kentucky who are Volunteer fire fighters. And I defiantly agree with Nagala about looking into selling them as stock

Most reactions

Back