Possible Portfolio

natos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

Just want to ask what are your thoughts in these images and how would i build my portfolio? I have an idea that i would categorize it with landscape, candid, slowshutter and events. These will be my portfolio for a Foundation Diploma in Photography. If i would get invited for the interview, i would need 20 sets of images. These sets of images might change depending on you input.

For Critique - an album on Flickr

Thanks!!

Nat

I saw this:

"Hey Guys, these are some images that i took in a period of 3 years."

And only 20 photos? Are there more someplace?

My bad i miss typed that one, what i mean with that is these are the images that "represents" what i like to shoot the most. I will add more images to the album if you want more images.

When it comes to portfolios its definitely a matter of Quality over Quantity. This doesn't need more images until you've removed the images that aren't doing you any good in your current set.

I think 20-30 images is a good size for a portfolio, but I think there are some that could be removed and replaced with better images. You've got some really good work here but also some photos that are less than good.. A portfolio is supposed to be a collection of only your best work, you should never have "filler" images just to make your body of work look larger, it will make you look unskilled and be more likely for the viewer to disregard your good shots as flukes.

I think the Dandelion shot is to generic and would do more harm than good in a critique of this nature.

I'd also narrow down the B-boy images to the 2 group portraits and 1-3 images of them actually dancing. I like the first dancing image, the one of the guy holding his hat, and the one of the shirtless guy doing the handstand. The rest can go away.

The last set of Black and white images of what looks like a mosh pit can be narrowed down to 2 images, I'd say the first and the second to last.

If, after narrowing down these images to only the best, you find that your portfolio is a bit too slim.. I'd recommend you go back and find some images with more variety of subject matter that still show your skill and who you are as a photographer like these do.

My bad i miss typed that one, what i mean with that is these are the images that "represents" what i like to shoot the most. I will add more images to the album if you want more images.
I am not seeking more images, but in three year's time you have only this many? My phone alone takes more than that in a month!

Sorry, I do not get any kind of theme or category that stands out as being representative of your style. The collection that you linked to has something of a hodgepodge of several not very good photographs and a few decent ones.

To build your portfolio using the four categories that you listed is fine, but I think you'd better get started.

When it comes to portfolios its definitely a matter of Quality over Quantity. This doesn't need more images until you've removed the images that aren't doing you any good in your current set.

I think 20-30 images is a good size for a portfolio, but I think there are some that could be removed and replaced with better images. You've got some really good work here but also some photos that are less than good.. A portfolio is supposed to be a collection of only your best work, you should never have "filler" images just to make your body of work look larger, it will make you look unskilled and be more likely for the viewer to disregard your good shots as flukes.

I agree with what you have pointed out and what Designer have said that it is kind of mixed images without clear direction where it is going.

Sorry, I do not get any kind of theme or category that stands out as being representative of your style. The collection that you linked to has something of a hodgepodge of several not very good photographs and a few decent ones.

To build your portfolio using the four categories that you listed is fine, but I think you'd better get started.

When i looked at the picture i noticed as well that it looks like it had just been dumped together in an album.

This course would mean a lot to me and both of your inputs is greatly valued. I'm going to work with what i already took and gotta add new images as well. I will be updating this post.

Thanks for the bitter herb Designer and the constructive criticism W.YPhoto :)

TBH, I would dump about 2/3 of the shots.
Get rid of almost duplicates and weak ones
Dove and Maple under light are much stronger; imo the dove picture is the best one of the entire lot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back