Possible Professional Portrait?

They all seem blurry and OOF to me. I would say no to both, sorry. Keep working on it though!

The focus is off, the cropping seems a bit too tight in the frame, the exposure is off, the posing is not very appealing to the models. Basic elements like these need to be 100% mastered before going into business.

Keep on shooting

This was actually my first paying job. I haven't given her the finals yet, but she said she really liked the close up ones. I showed her all of them and these are the ones that she picked. And, I showed her the edited vs the original and she said she liked the edited. I could still work on all that, though. Thank you.

Im not sure what I am seeing then. I think all of them are too deep.

I think the composition/framing is good in the pics but all could do with a little more DOF, particularly #4 where the bottom half of his face is blurred. Practice practice practice and look at lots of pro portraits to get ideas and compare to yours. Think about lighting and what you can do PP with reddish sking tones/blothches, etc. Good luck and keep shooting.

How do you see it as too deep when on number 2 the lips are focused but the tip of the nose is out?

All of this confusion is because of my terrible editing job :p What do you think about the originals?

Y'know people can actually sue you for charging them for bad photographs. It's happened before. You show up to any professional gig with a point and shoot camera and...uh.
You're 16, you're not a professional anything yet. Take some digital photography classes and invest in a cheap DSLR, don't worry about trying to make money doing it, most people who've done this their whole lives don't make money with it. :lol:

rotate...camera....to portrait....orientation...losing...count...of horizontal head cut-offs seen...must rotate camera...restore foreheads...

The focus is off, the cropping seems a bit too tight in the frame, the exposure is off, the posing is not very appealing to the models. Basic elements like these need to be 100% mastered before going into business.

Keep on shooting

This was actually my first paying job. I haven't given her the finals yet, but she said she really liked the close up ones. I showed her all of them and these are the ones that she picked. And, I showed her the edited vs the original and she said she liked the edited. I could still work on all that, though. Thank you.

Clients don't know. People today are used to seeing craptastic images up on facebook, that are blurry, out of focus, camera shake, just snapshots. So when there is any tiny consideration put in to the image, they will love them.

But really, if you plan on going professional, these are not quality professional images, and you are not using quality professional gear that could help you in achieving your goal.

Putting out top notch pro work, each and every time, and from the get go when your business is open is key. If not, you will be turning away potential clients just based on your portfolio. Can you shoot for family and friends? Sure. Going pro and making a business out of this at the level you are at? No.

I'm still iffy with taking money from people and often I refuse to as I have alot to work on and I'm not comfortable in repeating my results 100% of the time.

You know what the upside is? You are 16! You have so much time ahead of you to learn and grow as a photographer. You obviously have a passion for it, so continue with that passion and learn the craft. Don't think about the business side or the making money side. Think about experience, knowledge and skill growth. Nothing else. Study in photography, practice alot, and you will be in a whole other realm in a few years.

Oh, and get yourself a decent camera too. Start asking for bithday and christmas presents that are photography related... :)

You know what the upside is? You are 16! You have so much time ahead of you to learn and grow as a photographer. You obviously have a passion for it, so continue with that passion and learn the craft. Don't think about the business side or the making money side. Think about experience, knowledge and skill growth. Nothing else. Study in photography, practice alot, and you will be in a whole other realm in a few years.

Oh, and get yourself a decent camera too. Start asking for bithday and christmas presents that are photography related... :)

This one was a birthday present :S Thank you very much for your advice. I'll work on it :)

rotate...camera....to portrait....orientation...losing...count...of horizontal head cut-offs seen...must rotate camera...restore foreheads...
I LOL'd

Uhh.. Thanks, but that's not helpful.

What he's saying is shoot Portrait (top to bottom) not landscape, to avoid cutting off necks, foreheads, hair, and whatever else.

It's not a must, but he was just referring to your shots on here. Because they have some tops of heads cut off.

I LOL'd

Uhh.. Thanks, but that's not helpful.

Uhh...you butchered five out of five shots by shooting "portraits" as floating head horizontals...it might actually be helpful to do a Google search on "famous portraits".

Take a look...maybe, uhh, you'll notice something.

famous portraits - Google Search

Wait, you are using a point and shoot camera and charged someone for these shots?

:er:

As pointed out these have some problems: focus is off, exposure is off, things being cut off(bad composition), etc. I say get a DSLR(any would be better than a point and shoot) and read up on photography. Buy Understanding Exposure, read tutorials online. Shoot shoot shoot. post here and ask for C&C.

I wish I could buy a P&S and feel no remorse about charging people for photographs...

No, you're not ready to be a "professional" photographer. You essentially answered your own question in your statement. You've been hands on for a year? Most people that study photography, and all aspects of the trade go to school for 4+ years for it. You really can't say, "Hey I picked up a point and shoot last June... Am I Annie Leibovitz yet?" That's where most people go wrong. You've got a long way to go (not a bad thing, because you're young). But being a professional is no small task. And you should really rethink charging people for photos, unless they're VERY reasonably priced.

Brain amputation, a bruise on the forehead, bitten nails, and the unitended visual emphasis on two large front teeth should confirm to you that portraits that are taken too close to the subject are seldom flattering. Angles can also emphasize a pointed chin or make an ear look too large.

Back off from your subject, pay close attention to angles and flattering your subject and learn much more about postprocessing.

skieur

Most reactions

Back