Possible to reduce time spent processing RAW files using The GIMP?

ted_smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

I'm fairly new to the ways of digital photography and am after a tip on 'bulk processing'.

Firslty, I use The GIMP (www.gimp.org) and the UFRAW plugin.

I've done several 'photographic occasions' lately and afterwards I've had in excess of 20 or 30 raw files to process (can we avoid the 'JPEG vs RAW' argument which is heavily discussed here : http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78921- personally I prefer RAW and that's just how I am).

For each image I add the raw file, often the previous settings will suffice if it's a series of shots taken in similar light, but if they differ I make any adjustments then. I then do all the usual things - adjust any curves, levels, apply unsharp mask perhaps, etc. Often this can take me hours!

Is there a way that I can 'mass-preprocess' my raw images and then just quickly skim over them afterwards and make any preferred alterations as and where necessary?

Thanks

Ted

Adobe light room or Apple Aperture are two of the prominent RAW editing (workflow) programs.

I use Raw Shooter Essentials, which is/was a free download. It was bought out by Adobe and some of the ideas have been incorporated into Lightroom.

20-30 Raw files is nothing ;). Try working with several hundred (or more) RAW files. That's when 'workflow' software really shines.

20-30 Raw files is nothing ;). Try working with several hundred (or more) RAW files. That's when 'workflow' software really shines.

No joke. Before lightroom, I was afraid of shooting in RAW. I'm happy to say that is no longer. It's not uncommon for me to shoot 100+ frames just on my dogs not to mention more "intensive" shoots. As long as you separate the shoot into folders of less than 50 RAW files, my computer handles this without breaking a sweat. Once you shoot RAW with the correct tools, it will easily become your favorite format.

Most reactions

Back