Possible to use an SB-600 as a slave?

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Trying to figure out if the nikon sb600 can be fired as a slave. Read the manual but didn't see it. If its in there can someone point me in the direction, otherwise what are the settings that need to be changed?

Last edited:
Trying to figure out if the nikon sb600 can be fired as a slave. Read the manual but didn't see it. If its in there can someone point me in the direction, otherwise what are the settings that need to be changed?

Depends on your camera. If you camera has CLS abilities then yes. You go into the camera menu (press and hold zoom and the - symbol). Toggle through the menu until you find the squiggly line with an arrow and enable that.

Then set your camera's menu to use the onboard flash as a commander. My preference is to set it where the onboard flash adds nothing to the scene...only to fire the SB-600.

Now turn the flash on and leave it off camera....pop up your on board flash, and fire a shot.....the SB-600 will fire as a slave.

Oh, and cameras that I know of that have CLS are

D70s (possibly D70 as well???)
D80
D90
D200
D300
D700
D3
D3x

not sure about the D50 but I don't think it does....don't quote me on that though.

From your profile I take it you have a D40. The SB-600 will not slave off of that body. You can buy remote triggers, but nothing wireless from the factory.

to clarify,
i have a d90 now (should update profile).
I already have two SB600's i fire via CLS, but with just commander mode you can only control 2 flashes (or 2 flash groups A & B).

I want a third independant that is triggered when it sees the other two go off, set basically on manual so i can just control the light output of it from the flash body (not the camera body).

thanks

i will clarify even further to state i dont care about i-TTL or any of that, i want to control it in manual anyway

Use an optical trigger. One that can be adjusted to disregard TTL pre-flashes.

Beyond that you're into the realm of radio triggers.

Most reactions

Back