Post FAQ Sticky?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would anyone mind if I created a sort of FAQ thread? Has this been tried before? I figure I'll put it in a format such as:

Q: Should I get the F1.4 or the F1.8 50mm lens?
A: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111381&highlight=50mm
A: (link2)
A: (link3)

People could then post with contributing material and I'll compile it up to the root question message or something.

Also, for the Moderators... could we get such a post stickied? (assuming folks here like the idea)

Yes it's been tried before. If you click the link in my sig you'll find a thread with a ton of great info along with an explanation as to why it could NOT be stickied nor even called an "FAQ" which is why I have it annoyingly still linked in my sig in big bold font so that people see it. :roll:

Yes it's been tried before. If you click the link in my sig you'll find a thread with a ton of great info along with an explanation as to why it could NOT be stickied nor even called an "FAQ" which is why I have it annoyingly still linked in my sig in big bold font so that people see it. :roll:

Oh hey, look... I even posted on that thread. :lol: GOD MY MEMORY IS HORRIBLE. :lol:

Ok, I really do think we need a way to host this kind of information... moderators, consider the amount of bandwidth, storage and power being sucked up by the multiple posts... consider that all I have to do is post a "HEY DOES MEGAPIXELS MATTER?" and it will turn into a flame fest? We already have several of those... let's find a way to make them easily accessible aside from all of us repeatedly bumping Mav's thread. It would be a real service to the community.

If not a FAQ... another section to cross link or something? Another term to use? Community FAQ? Common Queries and Previous Discussions on same. You guys could post the initial message with a disclaimer saying that you neither condone nor disavow the statements made in these... perhaps some other creative notion?

Based on the disagreements the mods had for the Beginner's FAQ thread getting stickied or even FAQed, I'd have to say that some sort of disclaimer about not being able to verify accuracy or the content of every thread for accuracy and to read and use at your own risk would be the best bet, and then allowing the FAQ/Sticky. Members taking the initiative to put together useful FAQ type threads or a great links thread that points to other highly useful stuff and then refusing to sticky it and not even allowing it to be called an FAQ when it most certainly IS an FAQ thread does not encourage further member initiative. It actually discourages it and makes me not want to do jack crap, or even stop posting here. I'm an admin on a few other forums and we would all KILL for active members who take the initiative on their own to put things together for the benefit of other members. Is that not what Internet forums like these are all about? We're more than happy to sticky their stuff when they do, and we have disclaimers about not being able to guarantee accuracy or review every post and to use information at your own risk. Usually we can spot BS when we see it, but we have the disclaimer out anyways just in case.

I guess my opinion doesn't count much, but I can't really see why Mav's thead shouldn't be stickied. It's a great source of information that should be easy available, and easy to find so it can be easily expanded.

Last edited:
Thanks! Although technically it's Antithesis' thread. ;)

I think I understand why. Because most of the "answers" to the various topics are based on personal preference and opinion. And, I hate to say it but they are often wrong too or based on inexperience... I want to say "ignorance" but that word tends to get taken wrong and alienate. Each FAQ (frequently asked question) is easily an entire thread full of pros and cons and opposing opinions.

Let users use the search tool. It'll separate those who are trying from those who wish to be spoon fed. And spoon fed users too often become these fantastically opinionated know-it-all's with like, zero experience. :(

If I follow the idea correctly though aren't you talking more about a "Links" page than a FAQ?

I think I understand why. Because most of the "answers" to the various topics are based on personal preference and opinion. And, I hate to say it but they are often wrong too or based on inexperience... I want to say "ignorance" but that word tends to get taken wrong and alienate. Each FAQ (frequently asked question) is easily an entire thread full of pros and cons and opposing opinions.

Let users use the search tool. It'll separate those who are trying from those who wish to be spoon fed. And spoon fed users too often become these fantastically opinionated know-it-all's with like, zero experience. :(

If I follow the idea correctly though aren't you talking more about a "Links" page than a FAQ?

I was thinking of essentially a "here are some quick links to discussions that have happened in the past about your question".

It couldn't exactly be a "HERE IS YOUR ANSWER!" type because so much in this hobby/profession is a matter of collecting perspectives and then making a deduction based upon your personal needs/bias/preference.

Beginners might not know what they need to search for, or even what to learn. That's what stickies are for. Important information good for everyone to read about even if they had no clue about it before. Now they do.

Bifurcator said:
I think I understand why. Because most of the "answers" to the various topics are based on personal preference and opinion. And, I hate to say it but they are often wrong too or based on inexperience..
How can someone's personal preference or opinion be "wrong" if it really is an opinion. It's like RAW vs JPEG. What you ultimately shoot is purely personal preference, although there is a lot of flat out inaccurate "supporting data" spewed out by RAW shooters about JPEG. :lol:. Or PC vs Mac. Or Canon vs Nikon. BTW if there were some stickies made on these subjects for the few of them that were actually somewhat well-rounded and not flame fests, maybe people would stop making these threads over and over again? I forget who, but one of the moderators here just complained the other day about people making the same threads over and over again. I think it was for PC vs Mac. OK, so do something about it. :grumpy:

On another forum that I run people used to ask the same stupid question over and over and over again. It literally came up once or even twice per week, sometimes twice in the same day, and sometimes right on top of another person that had just created the same thread! And the sorriest thing was that the answer was plain as day right in the owner's manual! No problem, MAKE A STICKY, and then if yet another thread on that comes up LOCK and refer to the FAQ or Sticky thread, or kindly tell people to search unless something really is a new twist on the topic that might be new and valuable info. People will get the hint and then your repetetive BS threads issue goes away.

Beginners might not know what they need to search for, or even what to learn. That's what stickies are for. Important information good for everyone to read about even if they had no clue about it before. Now they do.

Yeah, I' not bagging on your thread bro. If anything it's the difference as I mentioned, between an actual FAQ page and a Link/Reference page.

How can someone's personal preference or opinion be "wrong" if it really is an opinion. It's like RAW vs JPEG. What you ultimately shoot is purely personal preference, although there is a lot of flat out inaccurate "supporting data" spewed out by RAW shooters about JPEG. :lol:. Or PC vs Mac. Or Canon vs Nikon.

You seem to have answered that yourself pretty well. :D

BTW if there were some stickies made on these subjects for the few of them that were actually somewhat well-rounded and not flame fests, maybe people would stop making these threads over and over again?

Highly doubtful. I modded for awhile (at a VERY heavily trafficked CG forum) and I think the only way to stop that is to put it in the sign-up agreement in huge bold print and in every sub-forum description that if you post without searching you WILL be banned forever! And then never actually ban anyone of course. That along with making a requirement that you can't start a thread till you have 20 posts under your belt of some other magic number, will cut it way way down. Also I think (in my opinion) that a mod's job is to merge, delete, and move threads that are duplicate, dumb, or out of place respectively. Here they do the later but I see neither of the former. It's not my business but that sorta thing squelches repeat offenders from repeating the mistakes, offends no one, and keeps the boards clean(er).

I forget who, but one of the moderators here just complained the other day about people making the same threads over and over again. I think it was for PC vs Mac. OK, so do something about it. :grumpy:

:D hehehe...

On another forum that I run people used to ask the same stupid question over and over and over again. It literally came up once or even twice per week, sometimes twice in the same day, and sometimes right on top of another person that had just created the same thread! And the sorriest thing was that the answer was plain as day right in the owner's manual! No problem, MAKE A STICKY, and then if yet another thread on that comes up LOCK and refer to the FAQ or Sticky thread, or kindly tell people to search unless something really is a new twist on the topic that might be new and valuable info. People will get the hint and then your repetetive BS threads issue goes away.

That happened here just yesterday with the workflow thread. I'm sure it happens more often than I notice though.

A sticky will help a little bit but think about it man. Is a person who's going to piggy-back the exact same topic like you described likely to read a FAQ 1st before posting? :D

n00bs have to be guided by the rules, have to see and understand the rules, and have to be forced into the rules at first either by the forum software settings or by active moderators and usually it requires both.

You have the defeatist mentality. Don't build an FAQ or sticky because people won't read it anyways. Well whose fault is that? Especially if you start locking threads with direct links referring to certain stickies, people will get the message. Been there, done that. And And the biggest thing is that I don't think it's fair to lump all people into the same behavioral patterns as CG'ers. A lot of people who come into the beginner's forum are clueless and looking to learn. A lot of CG'ers are probably just on to talk trash. :lol: Obviously two completely different demographs where things will work differently.

I don't think it's defeatist. It's just what ends up happening. I only know it from experience.

And hey, don't put down my CGer buddies. :D It's really almost an identical demographic.

Well, let's just call it "links" and sticky it, then. It doesn't really matter, and maybe FAQ is a little bit misleading.

I'll have to agree with Mav in all aspects here. I don't see the point of "seperating those who are trying from those who wish to be spoon fed" - not everybody is familiar with forums and how they work, and a sticky will just make things a whole lot easier for everybody. Why should you need to "prove your commitment" by spending a lot of time trying to find the right searchphrases, when it can be easily avoided?

And regarding the answers being based on opinions: It think this is a GOOD thing! Most questions do not have one right answer; they have many aspects to it, and the more opinions you get on a particular issue, the more qualified you are to make your own decision.

And, either it really works completely or not, I think doing a sticky at least eliminates the repeating questions by a certain amount.

I think generally, being helpful and having a good structure is always better then rules in bold threatening to ban people.

Can we get a moderator to weigh in?

This is interestingly one of the least moderated forums I've been on. May actually be a good thing in some cases. :)

Most cases I'd say. So far this place is great!

Big headed mods can ruin a place!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back