post processing of RAW

Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,
i have just started shooting Raw, processing in ps cs.

When that 'raw processing panel' comes up in ps with all settings like exposure and white balance, how do you know HOW MUCH to change exposure, or which white balance to choose, as i think its so subjective depending on the image (some obviously have a 'right' wb setting, but sime just dont have an obvious setting, just variations!). Just like any ps post processing work is subjective, i find though that in the raw panel in ps i sometimes, or very often cant make up my mind which wb to choose or whether to lighten or darken the image, or by how much?...

are there any tipps anyone can give me, maybe general rules. Is it best to do most of the colour correction in the raw panel as it doesnt degrade the image, or should i do that once in proper ps.? how about sharpening, in raw panel or in ps (unsharp mask)?

just some quick tips would be great from ppl with more experience! :)

thank you

Well, as you say, it's subjective. If you think an image needs a warmer WB...then make that adjustment. There is not really a right or wrong, you are the photographer, that's a decision you have to make. If you want to know what's 'correct' then go with your camera's auto WB setting or set a custom WB for each scene before you shoot.

I like to sharpen in PS...but I haven't used many different RAW converters...maybe some are better than others. Sharpening is usually one of the last things I do...so I don't even think about it during the RAW conversion stage.

Like Mike said, it's all up to you what you want to do with color and exposure. You are the artist. I fine tune my exposure and contrast in my raw software before exporting.

As far as sharpening and color, I adjust my color tone the way I want it in the raw file. I will boost the saturation of certain tones a bit more in photoshop if I feel the need. Sharpening I do in the raw file, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of Adobe's camera raw, so I use C1 LE. I find the sharpning algorhythms in it to be superb. I will most often sharpen a bit again in photoshop.

Most reactions

Back