Post-Processing Recommendations?

you seem to really know what you are talking about thoroughly!

Thanks, I get paid to teach this stuff.

I had made the decision to get the lightroom subscription. OH MY. there is so much involved with it...
I went from using VSCO X, which is nice most particularly on mobile for presets filters and light-overall editing...

I fear that my photography is going to take a bit of a plunge in quality because of my post-processing switch before it gets better.

Quite the contrary. It is in fact easier to process your photos starting with raw files than to shoot camera JPEGs and try to edit those. You'll catch on quickly.

are there any go-to guides that you would recommend?

Read this: class notes
This site is fair: Cambridge in Colour
Adobe has lots of good tutorials for LR on their website.

TPF here is a good resource.

Joe

P.S. Take some photos with your camera. Save NEF files. Find one you like. Create a free Dropbox account and upload the NEF file. Get back to me and let me have the link. I'll process it for you in LR and send you the XMP file.

You're an interesting man, Joe. I enjoyed your writing style...Thorough, as mentioned last, though a good amount of relatable expression and humor--and highly informative.

I did learn from this. A decent amount of it was new to me such as the Bell Curve, gaining a deeper understanding of the science behind the device and it's ability to capture it's environments--or not--given that some photos cannot be captured in a way that makes them of any amount of quality.

I'm intrigued by all of this. So much so that I had actually just looked at college courses in my new area (Ottawa, Canada). I'm not sure if it would be asking too much to see more of your material perhaps...I'm highly intrigued.

Thanks, I'm flattered. I'd be happy to share more of my class materials -- may take some pushing. I'm in my ninth year retired now but I still teach part-time. I have a lot of similar hand-out material I've prepared for class but not in the same web-form as what I just showed you. When I retired my wife started to (gently) suggest I create an e-book of all that stuff. I've made fits and starts and mostly abandons but that's how the piece you read came about. I've worked on some more but not gotten it ready yet. You can join my wife and bug me and maybe I'll get back at it.

In the meantime when you ask questions here at TPF there's quite a few folks who will give you good info.

Joe

Good guy. I appreciate all of your time.

In the interim, I will take a look at the Cambridge website, it looks like it has some promise.

See you around.

I will take a look at the Cambridge website, it looks like it has some promise.

See you around.

I continue to recommend the Cambridge in Colour site as one of the better sets of tutorials on the web (sometimes a bit dated). However I'm sorry to say Sean caves in to the common triangle nonsense in the Understanding Camera Exposure tutorial. I assume he knows better.

The wikipedia entry for photographic exposure includes a correct definition of exposure: Exposure (photography) - Wikipedia You'll notice that definition does not include ISO as a determinant factor of exposure. You're going to run into the "Exposure Triangle" all over the Internet. It's a distortion that will ultimately confuse you and interfere with your ability to understand clearly how this works.

Joe

Lightroom and Photoshop no doubt. Lightroom handles most things, while Photoshop can fill in wherever needed, plus it's great for digital art. Phlearn on Youtube can teach you everything about Photoshop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back