Post Processing Speed

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by skieur, Aug 21, 2008.

1. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The general mantra is that you photograph everything in RAW, do all your settings and editing and then perhaps save to tiff. With more megapixels and larger files the process takes even longer. Then there are plug-ins for sharpening, noise reduction, portraiture, and even software filters. Time spent learning all these programs also has to be factored in before you get into using them.

The result is that a lot of pros are now looking at ways of speeding up their workflow and realizing that 15 step or more procedures in Photoshop do not accomplish this task. Software is starting to come out with fewer steps but still a good level of control.

What are you doing to speed up your postprocessing, so that you spend more time behind the camera and not as much time in front of the computer?

skieur

2. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, in spite of how much processing I do, I still firmly believe that it's possible to take care of the most important things in-camera, and sometimes with the assistance of others.

That said, workflow solutions aren't designed at the moment for large files but for lots of files...LightRoom and the like.

So here's a simple wish, based on something I already do. When you're using the liquify tool with a large photo, the fastest way to do this (since liquify is a resource hog), is to drastically downsample the image, make fast work of liquifying with this lower-resolution version, save a map of your changes, reload the large file, and apply the map to it. Now, there are a number of times when doing that with other tools would be immensely useful, but you can't.

Often, though, when you need to do editing or retouching at high magnification to preserve detail, trying to edit a low-res version and apply a map simply wouldn't do, and there's little you can do to get around the necessity of working with a high resolution file. The only solution that I can see, is getting a more powerful computer. That is, speeding up editing can in a lot of cases force you to make sacrifices, and I don't believe there are any software solutions that can adequately tackle that problem. It's just the nature of the beast.

3. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    - trying to expose half-way decent
    - using hardware filters instead of software filters
    - minimising the use of photoshop by trying to do everything in the RAW converter, mostly batch processing (only use photoshop for batch resizing and fine-tuning of special images).

4. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Probably the #1 reason I'm looking to explore large format photography so I can really take control of exposure and realize the consequences of not working hard enough at it.

5. eravedesigns

eravedesigns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hate shooting RAW cause it takes to much time so I shoot JPG but I lose a bit of image quality..

I just use lightroom for fast processing because for me I have a set of things i do on the developer panel and then for fine adjustments i just have to do a simple click to open up photoshop that links the photo from lightroom.

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why can you not take control of exposure in small format photography?

7. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do just need to step it up and focus more.

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I find the less time I spend behind the camera, the less time I spend processing. ;)

Shoot roll film, and drop it off at the lab for someone else to work on. It doesn't get any easier than that.

Whenever I feel bogged down I go sit for a few minutes in my half disassembled darkroom. It reminds me what slow really is. And that I need to finish breaking down my darkroom.

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yet that gives up your artistic control if you let someone else photograph and print it.

I find the best you can do (assuming you're working on RAWs) is to get out of photoshop and into an integrated RAW processor which tries to do nearly everything in the one well laid out package. Spend less time shuffling through images and finding buttons, and more time applying batch adjustments and working on sets of images at a time.

Now obviously this only works for a limited definition of what constitutes editing. Things like facial retouching should still be left to Photoshop, but if you're after workflow oriented software take a look at Aperture or (yeah you knew I'd say it) Lightroom.

10. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I find that Viveza is very fast and handles editing of irregular areas like leaves, bushes or facial shadows extremely well. No masking or layers necessary.

The Nik software filters provide lots of control but at the same time allow you to make multiple edits in one click.

skieur

11. cszakolczai

cszakolczai TPF Noob!

As one professional photographer said, a lot of modern day photographers don't even worry about using the camera to the full extent because they know they can fix it on the computer. They are better with photoshop and they don't take the time to get the picture done properly.
    I believe in this 100% and I'd rather take the time behind the camera to get the picture done properly, as opposed to dealing with it on photoshop. Leave photoshop for the fun pictures, like selective coloring and what not.
    I shoot in RAW then clean up the colors a little bit, then I'm done.

12. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How do I *try to* save time?

At the camera:
    - Expose properly
    - Do as much of the composition in camera as possible
    - Yeah, I shoot ONLY RAW format, because I find ZERO time loss, between RAW and JPG, honestly... and I do see lots of better results because of it TIFF I use only on very specific files.

Outside the camera
    - picked up a quad core computer, overclocked the CPU and the GPU, added tons of RAM and RAID 0 hard drives
    - Learn the shortcuts of PSCS3 (there are so many!!)
    - Make my own actions and use them
    - Not use PSCS3 unless needed. I just picked up Lightroom 2.0 and will see if it speeds up my workflow process as much as I hope it will.