Post-Processing

The only unprocessed information you can get from your D90 is a series of 1s and 0s.

Period.

Someone once said: 'Life tends to fill an open mind but a closed mind is left empty.'

If you pay attention you will find that to be an accurate statement.

I don't mean to be harsh here but there are enough roadblocks on the journey as it is. We don't need to add to them needlessly.

mike

To me the best rule is only process that which needs it, otherwise leave it alone. Unless you plan in doing manipulations but, that is a totally diffrent thing.

The general consensus of the pros, and enthusiasts that I work with is that ALL photos require some degree of postprocessing. The bottom line is that a digital camera cannot record exactly what you see, so through the camera shooting is NOT reality without postprocessing.

Colour, contrast, detail, and exposure are averaged in camera. Your eye can often see the colour more accurately with less contrast, more detail and is more sensitive to differences in lighting in different areas of the photo. Postprocessing can get closer to reality and closer to what you saw than simple in camera work.

skieur

Fin?

I use Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins. Very efficient in the water :)

124-TwinJet_Max.jpg

Fin?

I use Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins. Very efficient in the water :)

124-TwinJet_Max.jpg

Not sure whether you are trying to be funny or you really don't know but Fin is a French word meaning end.

Although I am sure that my French is better than Arch's. :D

skieur

Welcome to the forum! I believe photography is a lie and I treat it as such. Not a ton of post work, but some. To me post work is just as natural as the darkroom. I believe that you are missing out on the true potential of the image if you do not process it.

Love & Bass

Not sure whether you are trying to be funny or you really don't know but Fin is a French word meaning end.

Although I am sure that my French is better than Arch's. :D

skieur

I know what fin means.

Humor. It's OK to give it a try every now and again.

Hey, I use the same fins.

Processing is important. Otherwise I'd have time for my kids and wife, and who knows where that might lead...

No post processing is a waste of time. I prefer to send my photos away to a cheap walmat printer too. It takes care of everything. I just like taking photos and the people who can develop and print them can decide for me if my photos should come out well or not.

</sarcasm>

Of course. Even the original post accepts post-processing. The question is how much? The original poster feels that post-processing to his parameters is more righteous.

Is using a neutral density filter on the camera somehow better than neutral density applied in post-processing? Is using a fill flash somehow more righteous than doing it in post-processing?

IMHO, you do reach a point in post-processing where a photograph becomes a work of graphic art.

The dictionary definition of photography:

"The process or art of producing images of objects on sensitized surfaces with light or other forms of radiant energy."

No mention of film or digital. No mention of the darkroom or Photoshop. It doesn't even mention a camera. Photography is a wide ranging activity. People can come up with their own rules as to what "real photographers" are or what "pure photography" is, but none of the rest of us have to follow them.

Edward Steichen said this about 100 years ago

"In the very beginning, when the operator controls and regulates his time of exposure, when in the dark room the developer is mixed for detail, breath, flatness or contrast, faking has been resorted to. In fact every photograph is a fake from start to finish, a purely impersonal, unmanipulated photograph being practically impossible. When all is said, it still remains entirely a matter of degree and ability."

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=edward steichen&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

IMHO, you do reach a point in post-processing where a photograph becomes a work of graphic art.

No, not true, but I have seen it the other way around, where my digital art was critiqued because it was thought to be a photo. :D

skieur

showoff ;)

and I have seen it where people have taken a photo and edited it to the point where it does look like a painting - of course they intended to do that in the first place ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back