Post Processing

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Dmitri, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    LAB or RGB?

I recently came across an article that says you can do more for your color without any clipping by converting to LAB mode and then back to RGB after the adjustments. Heres the article.

So, anyone try this or use it or know it to be true? I tried and didn't notice a huge difference, but then I'm not very smart.

2. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Investigate it for sure. It is one of Photoshop's most powerful capabilities. The technique goes a lot deeper then what the article mentions.

Love & Bass

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There's nothing that can be done in LAB that can't be done in RGB. The key difference is how the results affect the channels. "do more for your colour without clipping?" The end result is always RGB if it clips in LAB it'll clip in RGB. Even when working in LAB the rendering on your screen is done in RGB.

People think this is something magical that can get around problems. It's not. It just works on the same data in a different way. For instance:

in LAB: Adjusting the lightness only without affecting chroma in curves can be done directly on the picture.
    in RGB: Adjusting lightness can be done by using a curves adjustment layer, adjusting the curves and changing the blending mode from normal to luminance.

in RGB: Adjusting increasing the magenta of an image in curves can be done directly on the picture by reducing green.
    in LAB: You need to use a combination of A and B channels to achieve the same thing.

One thing is certain. All things can be achieved in all colour modes. Know how to work in the colour mode you use, because changing between them clobbers your adjustment layers. I think in RGB so I never switch to LAB these days. Things were different in the days of Photoshop CS.

4. Dmitri

Dmitri No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the info, Garbz :)