Post Shoot Software Editing Options (non-sub.)Pay or Free

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cathexis, Oct 19, 2017.

1. cathexis

cathexis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Greetings All,

I'm sure "best software" gets asked a lot but I have a few slightly more specifc items to ask.
    Hope you can help!

What are the best stand-alone, post-production, non-subscriber programs out there for pay?

Further, is there any good Freeware competition I should try?

I don't want subs that I never really own and all my **** on the cloud. I want to do desktop style
    editing with the best stand alone program I can get. Win 10 PC with lots of HD and Ram and Nvidia
    graphics gamer card. Plenty of ext. HDs (3 at the moment) since I D/L lots of stuff.

I'm not as bothered by complexity as by that, "I coulda had a V-8" feeling from wannabe garbage ware.

My goals include working with black and white conversions from RAW copies with originals
    archived. Time spent is not a problem. At this time my goals are to learn about post-production techniques with room to grow. Printing has not entered the picture - yet. Wanna make pretty pix!
    TIA,
    Andrew

2. photo1x1.com

photo1x1.com TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm totally with you regarding subscription. I hate it, even though I had to go with Adobe Creative Cloud recently. I need it for the projects I work on :(.
    Depending on how much post production you are going to do: Lightroom6 from Adobe is the last standalone version. Adobe yesterday announced they are going subscription only from now on. So getting one of the last copies might be a good idea. BUT: you have to be aware that there is no way to upgrade in the future.
    There are others though like capture one, macphun luminar and more. I for one prefer Lightroom though.

3. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Best: Capture One -- pay $$$.
    There are free options that aren't as good as Capture One. Consider DarkTable, RawTherapee, LightZone (shaky).

You'll also need an RGB pixel level editor: Affinity Photo.

Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What about the software that comes with your camera? :apathy:

• Like Like x 1
  5. cathexis

cathexis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks folks for responding so quickly. The software that comes with my camera would not do as I think it would mean way fewer options, especially for B&W.
    I can only borrow from what I've read but I did come across a site that reviewed Silver Efex (now a freebie, IIRC) and how it worked with Adobe vs. Cap One and
    gave some nods to better results with Adobe products. I can in no way offer an informed opinion on all that, but it does have me inclining to LR6. One thing I've
    seen is a number of How-To vid on You-Tube cite that they do "most" work on LR and then finish up in Photoshop. But perhaps by the time I have the expertise to
    need such finishing up then Cap One Pro ought to satisfy. Gotta start somewhere. I think there are about 7 different algorithms for B&W conversion and Photoshop
    has the most (I think) and LR6 has fewer. Does anyone have an opinion if this matters any?

As always - thanks,
    Andrew

6. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You said you wanted to avoid the subscription. LR is going to force you to go the subscription route. It's good software if you change you're mind and want to do that. Otherwise Capture One is better editing software and doesn't force the subscription.

You said you want to learn post production editing and you want to process raw files converting images to B&W. Well do you want to do that or do you want to push buttons? If you want to push buttons (Silver Efex) then get a copy Alienware Exposure X3 -- lots of buttons you can push. You won't learn by pushing buttons, but you can make photos that have the same "look" to them that all the other button pushers get -- enjoy.

Otherwise get a copy of Capture One or LR if you want to pay monthly or DarkTable if you don't want to pay at all and stop rotting holes in your brain watching button pushers on youtube.

Joe

• Like Like x 1
  7. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

Free there is GIMP.
    Paid for I only know Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom. Never tried the other brands.

8. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Older versions of DxO can be had for free from time to time. However, since they're no longer updated, they may not be compatible with the latest whiz-bang cameras.

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    THAT! Just get on with it, and stop fretting about finding "the best"...there _is_ no best.

Your own creativity will trump the power of software.

• Like Like x 4
  10. photo1x1.com

photo1x1.com TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lightroom 6 is still available as a standalone e.g at B&H. Only problem: You ain't going to get any upgrades in the future without changing to subscription.

11. cathexis

cathexis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    @ Joe & Derrel,

I don't have the knowledge to know why Silver Efex is pushing buttons but "processing raw files converting them to B&W" is not ?
    My guess is that you can: 1. Do the same thing in Cap One by itself but Silver Efex gives you scripts that do it for you inside of Cap one.
    2. And/or that, "rotting my brain watching people push buttons on You-Tube" is ME cheating by copying other folks scripts rather than
    really learning the program for myself (which BTW is NOT what I'm doing, just looking at reviews, not tutorials). Is that what you mean?

@ All,

Also, I really do appreciate the alternatives that others are posting as well so thanks again. I'll have to check out DarkTable too. BTW, I
    finally got my first digital that's not a point & shoot; A Nikon D600 used(no shutters probs, etc.), a new Slik Pro 700BHX tripod, 1 new and 4
    used lenses, and assorted stuff like a remote for the D600. One nice guy on E-bay even sent me a free N6006 in great shape along with the
    lens I bought from him. So most of my time on You-Tube has been watching tutorials on the D600 since the 392 page manual I have is not
    very intuitive on some things like Custom Settings. Also, the D600 often gives you 2 ways to do something but one way may be way easier in the
    field.

Andrew

12. s_marolf

s_marolf TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

GIMP is a free program similar to Photoshop.

Darktable is a free program similar to Lightroom.

Learning curve on each is high but they're free so download and give them a try. I use Darktable for raw editing. I've never used Lightroom as I just don't do enough to justify paying for Lightroom.