Post Shooting...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by gravity0, Apr 15, 2009.

1. gravity0

gravity0 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a noob and have shot in RAW ever since I bought the 40D. I can see my pictures getting better in the camera, but post shooting, upon placing the pictures in the computer they're not as good. I just found out that RAW photos look dull without some PS help. What would you recomend me do or read to get my pictures looking better. I'm a little familiar with PS but still new at it. I took a class that taught a little about Curves, layers, sharpness but I'm still new to it all. What are the normal procedures of getting "popping" pictures.

Thanks,

Grav

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It sounds like you need to develop you 'workflow'.

Just about everyone has their own, unique workflow....so you just have to find what works for you.

I got a bunch of great info on The Luminous Landscape
    you might want to check out this...

In-depth Workflow Example

3. gravity0

gravity0 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As always thanks Big Mike. You're right I do but the funny thing is I don't know what I'm doing right now. PS is so huge that I believe it's going to take me years to get right. Not only that but say I start my own work flow, then realize a certain thing PS does later on that could have worked on a previous picture. I guess that's the beauty of a hobby. :lol:

4. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Plenty of people 'evolve' their workflow...then go back to photos they took years before and re-process them with different results.

It's a constant learning process and the best way to learn is to practice. There are also tons and tons of tutorials on the web...just search them out.

Also, consider getting Lightroom. It integrates with Photoshop but it revolutionizes the workflow process.

5. gravity0

gravity0 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How is Lr different than Bridge? That's what I'm using at the moment.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There are no normal procedures, it varies from image to image. It seems everyone today is looking for the easy button or want the final result right now without having to work for it. Things that are worth learning usually are not easy and can take literally years to learn.

First you need to really understand Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). You want to optimize your image in ACR before you open it in the Photoshop workspace.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Camera-Digital-Photographers-Only/dp/0470224576/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239838261&sr=1-1"]ACR for Digital Photographers[/ame]

Once the image is open in Photoshop:
    • duplicate the image (Image>Duplicate) NEVER EDIT THE ORIGINAL
    • do all the adjustments that can be done in 16-bit mode
    • convert to 8-bit, complete your adjustments
    • crop, if necessary
    • sharpen using the appropriate technique for that image.
    • save a master file (including all layers .psd or layered .tif) of the now edited duplicate image
    • save to the file format of choice for presentation (.jpg or .tif)
    You don't mention which version of Photoshop you have. Suffice to say that book learning is still the best learning tool for most people and you have a ready reference if you keep them close to the computer.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Scott+Kelby&x=17&y=22"]Here is a list of Photoshop books [/ame]written by the #1 Photoshop author. Pick the one(s) for your version of Photoshop. Join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals and frequent their forums and browse their tutorials. Join lynda.com.
    I also highly recommend [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-CS4-Workflow-Digital-Photographers/dp/0470381280/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239838079&sr=8-1"]this book[/ame] (Photoshop CS4 Workflow) or one like it if you don't have CS4.

Lightroom can do some interesting things but it cannot alter pixels. It is not an image editor. Actually, Lightroom is an image database manager.

If you want to alter pixels you have to do it in an image editor like Photoshop.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  7. gravity0

gravity0 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I understand this quite well, if I had this attitude I wouldn't have a BS degree. I wasn't looking for critisism I was looking for a place to start. I know this hobby isn't going to be easy, h3ll if it was I'd get bored of it, like most hobbies I've tried. So thanks for pointing me on a path, now I can make my own trail. :D :thumbup:

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is actually one of Lightroom's best features....it's a non-destructive workflow.

Lightroom is primarily a 'workflow' software. It helps you do basic things to a large number of image in a very efficient manor. It also helps you organize and control your digital photos.

Lightroom has added several tools that do help with image editing and many photographers are finding that they are using Lightroom more and Photoshop less but it will not replace Photoshop as a pure image editing program.

As mentioned, one of the best things about Lightroom is the non-destructive workflow. Basically, when you have images in LR and you make adjustments, those adjustments are saved in a separate file. So you can make hundreds of changes, opening and closing it as much as you want...the integrity of the image remains unsullied. The edits are only applied to the image when you output.

9. LarryD

LarryD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Grav,

I've read all posts...but I'm going to go back to your original post..

. You say that you shoot in RAW, and your in-camera shots look better than your computer downloads...

This is almost always true... Your in-camera look (LCD) is showing you a processed image, not the RAW image. If you shoot in JPEG, then your downloaded image would more closely look like the in-camera look. But, JPEG throws out a lot of data, so you do want to shoot in RAW.

. You say that you found out that your RAW photos need PS help. This is not necessarily true. Your Canon came with Digital Photo Professional software specifically for processing RAW data.. This software allows you to adjust the photo in a number of ways to make it "pop", and then convert and save it to a variety of different formats such as TIF or JPEG that do not require any other processing.

. PS is a powerful tool, but you should have the best product possible before you get there..DPP allows this and can be seen as processing the negative; PS can then be seen as producing the final print

(of course, other RAW software does too)

10. gravity0

gravity0 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mike,

How is LR different than Bridge.

11. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here is an excerpt from '[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Inside-Lightroom-serious-photographers-efficiency/dp/0240811429"]Inside Lightroom 2[/ame]' by Richard Earney