Post Titles.....PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by KmH, Oct 25, 2009.

1. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Does anyone think post titles that have "please help" anywhere in the thread title....sound like a whine?

2. Joe549

Joe549 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No. It sounds like somebody is having a problem and needs some help to fix it.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No I don't. It means someone was brought up correctly and knows how to say 'please'.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    No, it sounds like a polite request for help or assistance--AND, and this is the best part, the thread is clearly labeled. Many threads on TPF(and other forums) have titles that are spelled incorrectly, which makes searching very difficult or impossible. I prefer clear thread titles over ambiguous ones.

5. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Having "please help" within the thread title is perfectly acceptable and informative in my opinion. It specifically shows that someone is looking for help where without it, it could look like a discussion rather than someone needing something answered.

Look at your title, "Post Titles....Please Help!" I clicked on it thinking that someone specifically needed help with post titles. You are in the wrong here creating a discussion thread with "Please Help" in the title. It was misleading and in reality, this thread is a discussion and not you needing help.

I clicked on the thread wondering what you needed help with on your post titles.

6. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    That's why it's in "Off Topic Chat" a discussion forum. :thumbup:

"A place to talk about anything outside the topic of photography - but please keep your political and religious views to yourself. Enjoy!"

7. JayCanon

JayCanon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    KmH, I am a member of a computer forum, and the majority of the membership there seems to feel that the words "please" and "urgent", along with "!!!!!!!!" in thread titles implies that the poster feels that his/her thread is somehow more important than anyone elses thread. Thread titles like that, on that particular forum, are frowned upon. If that's how you feel about it, I can understand that point of view, however I neither agree nor disagree with it. To me, it's not a big deal either way. It's the contents of the post that matters to me, not the title.

With that said, I feel thread titles should be as descriptive as possible. True, there's a limited amount of space for creating a thread title, but it should give an indication of what the post is about. If a thread title is very vague, I often ignore them.

8. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ah ha, my mistake. I was viewing from the "new posts" link and didn't notice what section this was from.

Though, I didn't mean it to sound like I was calling you out for creating a wrongly worded title. I was merely using it as example. Hope it wasn't taken that I was actually saying that "you were wrong" as I see it does now look to me as if that was what I was saying... :confused:

9. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This thread is a waste of bandwidth :lol:

What annoys me isn't "PLEASE HELP", it's lack of key information required to help.

10. KmH

Photos OK to edit
    More so the point.

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Often a result of one of a few things:

1) Speed - hasty posts mean less info as people try to get the task done - often this is combined with Multiforum (like multipass!) since they have to retype the text teach time (copy paste is forgotten about ;) ) they end up posting far less info.
    the other downside to thsi is that they might often forget a certain forum when reviewing and thus any attempts to help or ask for more info are missed

2) Noobishness - or as I like to call it being a beginner. This is one (Major) reason that "Google it" is not a viable answer nor responce for many people when they start something new; people new to something simply don't know what questions to ask at times not how much information or what kind is needed to get the help they are after.

3) Responders know too much - ok might sound odd but its true - the more one knows the harder it is to factually answer a simplistic question with few parameters - this is because one then has too many possible answers to the question whilst a newer person might have only a few. Thus many more experienced people will ask for more info where others might jump right in

Eg what camera should I get?
    responce 1: CANON!
    responce 2: I have a 400D get that its a great camera
    responce 3: budget - subjects - how keen - intentions - etc... general asking questions part.

A simple example but it holds true for other areas as well such as when people have lighting problems.