Post your best shot !

4017239627_689a739a68_o.jpg

This is a ridiculously good shot :thumbup: :lol:
Agreed, I can't believe only ONE person noticed that it's really an exceptional photograph, and (imo) the best one posted yet in this thread.

At first I didn't notice it much, then I didn't like it that much, and now I think it's amazing. I think I've figured out that at first, my brains was subconsciously refusing to belief that it was a viable photograph. I mean, it's just too perfect. I didn't know pictures of lions that stand up to the criteria pf portraits of people existed, and as first I just subconsciously dismissed it. But that is an amazing shot. It looks like it should be on a book cover or some motivational poster.

I like this one a lot... I don't know if it's my favorite though:

3974562990_aa19b0ff2b_o.jpg

Thats pretty neat what kind of lights did you use for it/

I set the camera up, turned out the lights, hit the shutter (about 4 second exposure), and flashed from the side with one of these:
745b_1_sbl.JPG

twas a very crude setup.

At first I didn't notice it much, then I didn't like it that much, and now I think it's amazing. I think I've figured out that at first, my brains was subconsciously refusing to belief that it was a viable photograph. I mean, it's just too perfect. I didn't know pictures of lions that stand up to the criteria pf portraits of people existed, and as first I just subconsciously dismissed it. But that is an amazing shot. It looks like it should be on a book cover or some motivational poster.
I commented on how amazing this shot was in the other thread (put up or shut up).

It is a nearly perfect shot, the contrast is great as is the lighting.

It looks as though it might have been something of a chance shot in that it was taken in aperture priority with a f stop of f/2.8. The camera picked 1/250 for the shutter and the flash did the rest. It effectively darkened the background because of the relatively fast shutter speed for what I assume was rather low lighting. Everything came together perfectly though, and the lighting really-really makes this shot.

I would be quite proud of it!

I commented on how amazing this shot was in the other thread (put up or shut up).

It is a nearly perfect shot, the contrast is great as is the lighting.

It looks as though it might have been something of a chance shot in that it was taken in aperture priority with a f stop of f/2.8. The camera picked 1/250 for the shutter and the flash did the rest. It effectively darkened the background because of the relatively fast shutter speed for what I assume was rather low lighting. Everything came together perfectly though, and the lighting really-really makes this shot.

I would be quite proud of it!

Thanks and it is a very effective way to shoot... Crank up the Flash in high speed sync with an SB-800 and throw a ton of diffused flash at the subject...

It is not what I would call something of chance? I am able to reproduce it over and over again...exposure compensation is my best friend.... I guess with mother nature there is always something to chance.

Here are a few more examples of the technic.

both of these are shot in daylight hours... The subject can not be in direct sunlight though

Cheers and thanks for the comments.

Joe

4017279221_ea0526898a_o.jpg

4017244461_b2e4ce2d52_o.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, my experiments with lowkey were in macro more and it was always with a small aperture (f13 in macro case) so I always thought that it worked by having a small aperture so that the light from the subject (with bonus flash light) got enough to be exposed correctly whilst the background didn't get enough (since the flashlight is too weak to boost the lighting there), and now f2.8 destroys the theory I had -- still time to go practice! Thanks for the info Joe

I have a similar picture, but it was chance, as this guy was standing in a dark place but in the exact spot that some sunlight was shining through... not exactly the same as yours, but similar...

3901173126_69f343ec6d_o.jpg

It's so difficult to choose just one of my 'children', but I guess I'll go with this shot of the San Francisco Bay Bridge at dusk:

Bay_Bridge_Dusk_HDR_0515.jpg

This is a ridiculously good shot :thumbup: :lol:
Agreed, I can't believe only ONE person noticed that it's really an exceptional photograph, and (imo) the best one posted yet in this thread.

I agree with all the others, this is an amazing photo. I'm new to photography and I am intrigued by this technique. Is there a particular name for that technique? I want to learn more about it!

It is not what I would call something of chance? I am able to reproduce it over and over again...exposure compensation is my best friend.... I guess with mother nature there is always something to chance.
I can easily reproduce the effect too. You missed the point of my comments. Because he was in aperture priority (and not manual mode or even Tv mode) he had no idea what his shutter speed would be before he fired. Of course this is pure speculation, and not that it ultimately matters.

If I were trying to produce that particular effect, I would be in manual mode and have control over my shutter speed so I could focus on the subject and be sure of the shutter speed I was about to use (vs. having the camera jumping the setting around reacting to ambient light). He also had his camera set to f/2.8. This tells me he was either worried about ambient light (but he had a flash so this seems unlikely), or he was trying to blur his background. If your intent was to blacken the background, why would you be at f/2.8? Why blur what you're not going to see? I would have chosen a smaller aperture knowing I was going to purposely create this effect and thereby sharpen the image a little more.

Again, pure speculation.

The subject can not be in direct sunlight though
Actually, it can if you have enough flash and you're close enough to your subject. This shot was taken in broad daylight in the middle of a front yard with the sun right there on us.

678877426_L7VJE-L.jpg

With enough flash (in this case a 580EXII) and the proper shutter speed you can pull it off just about any time you like.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back