Post your favorite horizontal orientation portraits

It might be helpful to remember that "portrait" derives from the verb "portray" which has multiple meanings. for example:

act like, characterize, copy, delineate, depict, describe, draw, duplicate, figure, illustrate, image, impersonate, interpret, limn, mimic, paint, parody, photograph, picture, render, reproduce, simulate, sketch

In my view a portrait is an image which "portrays" a person in a particular way. The portraits which are considered to be the quintessential examples by the best photographers in the world usually include some element which lets the viewer know something about the person being photographed. It could be a prop, or it could be an exagerated pose, or it could simply be a photo of the person doing what they are identified with. A musician with an instrument, a writer at a typewriter (showing my age here. I guess it would be a computer these days), a sports figure with an item associated with their sport, or a craftsman with a tool of their trade... those would be examples of "portraying" a subject. I think trying to put too fine a point on what is or isn't a portrait is way too limiting. But everyone is entitled to opinions here I think.
A picture of a scene that includes a person is not a portrait; a picture of a person that includes a scene is.

I've always thought there are Formal Portraits (subject is poised), Environmental Portraits (include the surroundings into the image) and Candid Portraits (not poised). I always thought of a typical portrait as being, at most, from the waist up.

Formal Portrait in Classic Vertical Format-
A
46834667_zQSnP-L-4.jpg

Environmental Portraits in Horizontal Format - Long Beach Samba Parade:

1018800384_WKJVM-O.jpg

1018798612_M4qym-O.jpg

1018801379_WkwwT-O.jpg

1018802995_GzVsq-O.jpg

Candid Portraits:
1018798774_4woii-O.jpg

1018798482_8o7pb-O.jpg

168945278_vyDkX-L.jpg

Gary

Last edited:
cgipson1 said:
For me a portrait is a deliberate photo of a person, where the person is not just the main subject, but the only subject. But a portrait should also seek to capture the character, mood, appearance etc, of the person at the time the photo was taken.

It's more than just a picture of a person, but more of a study of the person in that moment.

A painted portrait should seek to do the same and even a written portrait should convey as much detail.

Which means, I guess, that at least one of the ones I posted probably don't fall completely into my own definition.
Nice description.. I like it!

Do the photos I posted not qualify as portraits because they're wedding related? Last time i checked, there were "formal portrait" sessions, as well as just capturing the B&G in their natural element. Such as the way with lifestyle portraits. I don't think any of the photos here are unable to qualify as portraits.

Maybe you don't see things that way, because the only portraits Ive seen you shoot are of bugs? But then again, it's all a matter of interpretation and no one is right or wrong. In my opinion you have a very strict idea of what portraiture is for someone who doesn't actually do portraits.

Well Tyler, I didn't write that description... Forkie did! I merely indicated I liked it. Some of your shots were portraits, some weren't. I don't consider group shots portraits... do you?

You sounds like you are putting me down, because I prefer to shoot bugs instead of people? Am I less a photographer than you, since I don't specialize in people? By that rationale, that would make the average best buy, baby shooting 8-day wonder a better photographer than I am! lol!

And I do the occasional portrait.. but I normally don't post client's work on here.

Do the photos I posted not qualify as portraits because they're wedding related? Last time i checked, there were "formal portrait" sessions, as well as just capturing the B&G in their natural element. Such as the way with lifestyle portraits. I don't think any of the photos here are unable to qualify as portraits.

Maybe you don't see things that way, because the only portraits Ive seen you shoot are of bugs? But then again, it's all a matter of interpretation and no one is right or wrong. In my opinion you have a very strict idea of what portraiture is for someone who doesn't actually do portraits.

Not sure if you were talking to me or Cgipson. So I'll just cover my own back and let Cgipson comment separately.

But I didn't intend to suggest that photos in this thread didn't qualify as portraits. I also conceded that perhaps, on second thoughts, that a couple of the photos I posted probably didn't fit neatly within my own definition of a portrait.

But I do think that there is a difference, albeit perhaps a subtle one, between a portrait of a person and a photo of a person.

I think the original intention of the OP of this thread was for people to show photos that don't conform to the tradition that "portraits should be shot in portrait orientation". I'm pretty sure it was a compositional exercise rather than a semantics one, although it just so happened that someone questioned the definition of the word portrait (this is TPF, we shouldn't expect anything less!). I don't think the comment was intended to single out anyone specific's photos.

Really? I perceived it as being more looking for justification for shooting that way whether there was thought put into it or not.... since it is so popular with a certain "Class" of photographers.... :) lol!

It might be helpful to remember that "portrait" derives from the verb "portray" which has multiple meanings. for example:

act like, characterize, copy, delineate, depict, describe, draw, duplicate, figure, illustrate, image, impersonate, interpret, limn, mimic, paint, parody, photograph, picture, render, reproduce, simulate, sketch

In my view a portrait is an image which "portrays" a person in a particular way. The portraits which are considered to be the quintessential examples by the best photographers in the world usually include some element which lets the viewer know something about the person being photographed. It could be a prop, or it could be an exagerated pose, or it could simply be a photo of the person doing what they are identified with. A musician with an instrument, a writer at a typewriter (showing my age here. I guess it would be a computer these days), a sports figure with an item associated with their sport, or a craftsman with a tool of their trade... those would be examples of "portraying" a subject. I think trying to put too fine a point on what is or isn't a portrait is way too limiting. But everyone is entitled to opinions here I think.
A picture of a scene that includes a person is not a portrait; a picture of a person that includes a scene is.

All singular... not groups! One person is a portrait.... two people maybe... even three or four (or more, if arranged in a standard portrait type arrangement... Like a Family PORTRAIT).

But a bunch of people.. (wedding party, groomsmen, a crowd shot, etc... not portraits!) Would anyone agree with that?

I've always thought there are Formal Portraits (subject is poised), Environmental Portraits (include the surroundings into the image) and Candid Portraits (not poised). I always thought of a typical portrait as being, at most, from the waist up.

Candid Portraits:

Gary

Good examples.. YES.. those are portraits... by my definition, and every definition of a portrait that I am aware of! Nicely done!

Candid Portraits:

Gary

Good examples.. YES.. those are portraits... by my definition, and every definition of a portrait that I am aware of! Nicely done!

Thanks, I like shooting people, much easier than bugs.

Gary

The purpose of this thread was for us 'horizontal' portrait loving people to show off our work. Maybe some people hate my portraits, I however really enjoy them and that is all that matters right? When you shoot every day you begin to experiment with composition. How boring would life be if every single photo you took of a person was shot in vertical orientation? I know how to use my camera, I know how to use my light, I know the 'rules' of composition. I also allow moments to speak to me and allow my artistic vision to decide the orientation of each photo I take. I also think it is rude to (redundantly) say on a post that all portraits should be vertical, and those who do not do so are "MWAC or 'best buy'" photographers. I am a mwac and I am a photographer. And just fyi, I did a shoot for a friend last month and she SPECIFICALLY requested more horizontal (portrait) images! Its what the people want people!!!

Halloween, if you didn't guess.

$new-1716.jpg

The purpose of this thread was for us 'horizontal' portrait loving people to show off our work. Maybe some people hate my portraits, I however really enjoy them and that is all that matters right? When you shoot every day you begin to experiment with composition. How boring would life be if every single photo you took of a person was shot in vertical orientation? I know how to use my camera, I know how to use my light, I know the 'rules' of composition. I also allow moments to speak to me and allow my artistic vision to decide the orientation of each photo I take. I also think it is rude to (redundantly) say on a post that all portraits should be vertical, and those who do not do so are "MWAC or 'best buy'" photographers. I am a mwac and I am a photographer. And just fyi, I did a shoot for a friend last month and she SPECIFICALLY requested more horizontal (portrait) images! Its what the people want people!!!

Not picking on you.. or trying to give you a hard time! There are several kind of clients.. the photographically illiterate, and the photographically literate. One far outnumbers the other.. and one is much more likely to hire the less experience, and cheaper photographer.

cgipson1 said:
For me a portrait is a deliberate photo of a person, where the person is not just the main subject, but the only subject. But a portrait should also seek to capture the character, mood, appearance etc, of the person at the time the photo was taken.

It's more than just a picture of a person, but more of a study of the person in that moment.

A painted portrait should seek to do the same and even a written portrait should convey as much detail.

Which means, I guess, that at least one of the ones I posted probably don't fall completely into my own definition.
Nice description.. I like it!

Well Tyler, I didn't write that description... Forkie did! I merely indicated I liked it. Some of your shots were portraits, some weren't. I don't consider group shots portraits... do you?

Yes, I do consider them to be portraits. Family portraits, formal portraits, lifestyle portraits. You see them all the time.

You sounds like you are putting me down, because I prefer to shoot bugs instead of people?
Not my intention at all, and not what I was getting at.

Am I less a photographer than you, since I don't specialize in people? By that rationale, that would make the average best buy, baby shooting 8-day wonder a better photographer than I am! lol!

No, you're not at all. But I think that your viewpoint on portraiture is a bit skewed based on the subject matter you choose to shoot. That's all I am saying. There's no need to put words in my mouth like another forum member seems to enjoy doing around here.

I'm just making the observation that so far all you've done in this thread so far has been veiled attempt to stir the pot and derail the thread. If you'd like to start your own topic on "What constitutes a good horizontal portrait, in your opinion?" Go right ahead. This is not the venue for it. It's a venue to post your favorite horizontal orientation portraits.

So please, in the interest of NOT derailing a thread, if you don't have any horizontal orientation portraits to add, would you mind starting your own thread on the subject if it's one that really interests you? I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful. But derailing threads was the primary reason you were banned, and I wouldn't want that to happen again. Just trying to look out for you.

And I do the occasional portrait.. but I normally don't post client's work on here.

That's a shame, because I'd be really interested in seeing your client work. I'm sure a lot of other members would too.

Take care, Charlie.

Another thread likely to go into the toilet because of EGOS! Stop the sniping and post some photos. I'd rather see bad examples than have to read all this BS.

Not picking on you.. or trying to give you a hard time! There are several kind of clients.. the photographically illiterate, and the photographically literate. One far outnumbers the other.. and one is much more likely to hire the less experience, and cheaper photographer.

If you're not trying to pick on Paige or give her a hard time, I'm not sure what the sentences after the "No offense" clause really were for. You clearly were saying "People who are photographically illiterate will choose a photographer that is less experienced." Regarding Paige's friend who asked for more horizontal portraits than vertical. That's pretty disrespectful to Paige, and her friend IMO.

Like I stated before, it would be quite easy for you to start a thread and (hopefully) get a respectful conversation going, rather than derailing this thread and distancing it from its original intent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back