Post your favorite shot from your most recent roll

Pentax 645nii, Portra 400, 67 90 f2.8.

971630010012.JPG

Nikon F3HP, Acros shot at 400, 50mm 1.8 AIS, HC 110 (B) 10 min, Epson V800.

Two high school girls working on their film photography assignment. Talked to them a little bit but it was clear they were cautious. I am a large man, and there are a lot of strange people these days. I say, good for them for being safe. Still refreshing to learn that such a program still exists.

img158E.jpg

Many schools still teach film, as it is much easier. There are a ton of digital cameras and each have different methodologies to attain or semi-attain manual controls. Manual controls is pretty much the norm for 35mm cameras. Mary Lou and I attended a beginning digital class. The instructor could not teach and was unable to project what little knowledge she had to the students. But sitting there with 25 other students with 25 different cameras with 25 different layout for controls and menus ... just seemed like an impossible task.

So James, while I love your film work ... but, (the big but), couldn't you attain the same results with digital, (apart from the purity and market appeal one may generate from film)?

Yes and no. I have to do a lot of work on each individual photo to get close to the colors of film especially the skin tone and green. In even lighting it's almost a wash but I still spend more time to get the digital version to look like film. In harsh lighting, the transition from light to dark is a more gradual with film because of the larger format. It's so much easier and quicker to get the colors and looks right with film than digital to look like film. It's purely aesthetic :)

Last edited:
challenge digital this day. I did it just for fun. I think digital wins is resolution with MY scanner. However, there is a wonderful signature with film. Nikon F3HP, 50mm f1.8 AIS, Acros shot at 400.

FORD
img344E.jpg

couldn't decide on which one I liked better:

IMG_2633.jpg

Local lab ran it as C41 by mistake. They felt so bad, they gave me a refund and wrote out a note saying no matter how big my next processing order is, its free. Cant be too mad

couldn't decide on which one I liked better:

View attachment 156233

Local lab ran it as C41 by mistake. They felt so bad, they gave me a refund and wrote out a note saying no matter how big my next processing order is, its free. Cant be too mad

I like the new lab the best. I hope it's wasn't Darkroom as I recommended them....

No it was Precision Camera here in Austin. Simple keying error. The lab it was sent to up the street, Holland Photo Imaging, typically checks the film prior to swimming it but they didn't this time. I'm sure if I would have checked the receipt I was given, I would have seen it and could have said something too.

No it was Precision Camera here in Austin. Simple keying error. The lab it was sent to up the street, Holland Photo Imaging, typically checks the film prior to swimming it but they didn't this time. I'm sure if I would have checked the receipt I was given, I would have seen it and could have said something too.

I've messed up a few rolls/sheets in my day and boy did I feel like $#!%, can't be perfect every time. Glad to hear they will make good on the mistake.

I've messed up a few rolls/sheets in my day and boy did I feel like $#!%, can't be perfect every time. Glad to hear they will make good on the mistake.

yeah they were very sorry. the kid that took my order, him and I have been chit chatting a lot lately and are new friends. Im sure he feels a lot worse than I do about it. It sucks but its not the end of the world.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back