post your Nikon D40 pictures

really like the water, lighting, and fire... thanks for the motivation..now i still have hope for nice picture with my D40...you guys just proof you don't need expensive camera+ lens for nice pictures...

I've posted these other places on the forum, but they're all I have on my laptop and I don't feel like transferring the files around.

XoEnj.jpg

vo6zk.jpg

RJqcW.jpg

uRKpe.jpg

7HNdJ.jpg

I'm way overly critical of my photos - my girlfriend says I have other ones that are good but I disagree. Ohwell.

I absolutely love my D40. The only thing that makes me want to upgrade is the fact that I have to use AF-S lenses. I've seen some nice used ones for sale that I wish I could use, but they're not AF-S.

I know that I could use 'em, but having to manually focus everything would get on my nerves waay too much.

Interesting how those who don't have a D40, or never have had one, don't like them, and poo-poo their capabilities, while many people who have them and have used them speak highly and maybe even fondly of them.

Nikon must have done something right, best selling camera body OF ALL TIME!

Wouldn't a pro of just a few years before LOVE to have the technology contained in a D40?

I have a D80, but still like to go out and shoot with my D40 sometimes. It is a blast just to go out and shoot even just in auto and program modes, then come back and see what the photographs look like. Good glass will do wonders on a D40.

D40 has better low light capabilities than some of the more expensive cameras, and you cannot beat them for the money, especially they way they are priced used. But I notice that in Atlanta, prices for used D40 are rising.

Look how many people were introduced to a whole new world of photography by one of these.

I will always appreciate my "lowly" Nikon D40.

i am getting a d40 for xmas and am pumped. the fact that u have to use af-s is a little bit of a bummer, but i heard everything nikon puts out thats new will be af-s. manually focusing isnt a huge problem but for me i am taking pictures of live bands so thats a bit of one haha.

i plan on getting a 35mm f1.8 for my first lens

not sure if i should get the sb600 flash first or not though.

Interesting how those who don't have a D40, or never have had one, don't like them, and poo-poo their capabilities, while many people who have them and have used them speak highly and maybe even fondly of them.

Nikon must have done something right, best selling camera body OF ALL TIME!

Wouldn't a pro of just a few years before LOVE to have the technology contained in a D40?

I have a D80, but still like to go out and shoot with my D40 sometimes. It is a blast just to go out and shoot even just in auto and program modes, then come back and see what the photographs look like. Good glass will do wonders on a D40.

D40 has better low light capabilities than some of the more expensive cameras, and you cannot beat them for the money, especially they way they are priced used. But I notice that in Atlanta, prices for used D40 are rising.

Look how many people were introduced to a whole new world of photography by one of these.

I will always appreciate my "lowly" Nikon D40.

Ken Rockwell is always saying how he loves his.....

4074203353_c3260108f1_o.jpg

300mm F2.8 AFS

3664439085_2e95a24a7d_o.jpg

18-55

3831790870_8ee8c910bb_b.jpg

This thread could cast the question, why upgrade? :D

Probably more because of wants than needs. People will probably want a better camera, or think you need to spend more $$ to get a better camera, and that is fine, to each his own.

But I wonder how many of them have stretched the potential of the D40 as far as it will go before they do upgrade to another camera body?

And whatever Ken Rockwell says ~ he is a total joke! If you read enough of his website he will tell you that himself, and will intentionally make misleading statements. How can he personally review something that he has never seen or used?

You would be MUCH better off referring to Thom Hogan or Miranda, dpreview, dcresource (DCRP) or somewhere like that.

Reading Ken Rockwell should purely be for entertainment purposes only.

Happy shooting!

fine...i'll post my d40 pics as well.....
3473456178_528d88bc47_b.jpg

3576007222_c2cf9d5623_b.jpg

4035296210_2a2491e80c_b.jpg

4032032781_45bddb0e79_b.jpg

i just love me d40...it sooo awesome...

wow... makes me want a d40, and regret picking a d60 instead of a d40 as my first camera haha. amazing shots everyone! especially the... caribou or deer... thing with antlers on water.

I have had my D40 for 2 months now it is my first dslr.Here are some of my pics that i really like. All are taken with the 18-55 kit lens. let me know what you all think.
cadenpark.jpg

DSC_0310copy.jpg

DSC_0220copy.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0080pse.jpg

DSC_0073pse.jpg

DSC_0021pse.jpg

DSC_0008copy_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0014copy.jpg

Only reason I'm springing for the D90 is so I can use whatever lens, and a slightly further reaching kit lens (which I'll be stuck with a while) I handled a D40 and thought it felt nice and wanted that first, but the D90 felt better in my hands too
Awesome photos in this thread.

here is mine with 18-55mm

my 240 gauge

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back