Postcard photography

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate putting this in the Business District Forum, as I do not want to offend you pros!!
I am volunteering at a Visitor Center this summer and their postcards are horrible! Not that I am a pro, but am thinking of pitching a few to the boss.
Yes, I can look at legal advice and business consequences, but my immediate question involves this photo...

16. Will it... by Nancy Moran Gonsiewski, on Flickr

This is my photo and may not be the one I submit but question.....if the name of the ship is visible, can I use it or is it protected somehow? It is a ship from Panama if it matters.
Thanks, Nancy

I can't think of any possible reason you couldn't use it. There is no expectation of privacy for a ship at sea (or at river). I would consider leveling it however, and maybe burning in the "flashed" area in the foreground and then boosting the overall exposure a bit. As a point of interest, the ship isn't really Panamanian. Panama is a "flag of convenience". Certain countries such as Panama and Monrovia have very loose (read, "Non-existant") maritime registration laws, so as long as a ship owner is willing to pay the premium price, he doesn't have to worry about silly little things like inspections, etc. Nippon line is actually based in Japan.

Can always count on you for an answer Tirediron! Thanks.
I took this 2 years ago when I was new here. It is amazing to see go by.
Would take a better one now as the bridge tarps are off and will take your pp suggestions on it also.

Would take a better one now as the bridge tarps are off and will take your pp suggestions on it also.
The blue hour is wonderful light, especially for a blue ship. You got some flare in that earlier shot, so watch out for it. Also, skip the flash, but I'm sure you wouldn't use it now that you see the effect.

Thanks Designer. It was 'dumb luck' as my mom used to say, (blue ship at blue hour)
It is a car carrier holding up to 5,000 cars on its way to Boston. This is the Cape Cod Canal which makes Cape Cod an island. No one really thinks about that though..

Thanks Designer. It was 'dumb luck' as my mom used to say, (blue ship at blue hour)
It is a car carrier holding up to 5,000 cars on its way to Boston. This is the Cape Cod Canal which makes Cape Cod an island. No one really thinks about that though..

Do you have any of the tunnel under the canal?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back