poster prints from 35mm negatives

I have a "full quality" print that size from a Kodachrome 25 slide and there's no obvious grain unless you really look close. I had a Kodak poster print done off a Kodacolor 200 neg and the grain is there up close but from a normal 3-4 ft distance..not apparant.

Not sure if there's even a Kodak lab near here anymore but a good lab should be able to do a rather nice 20x30 of asa 200 or slower. Asa 400...may show more grain but the Poster print fron asa 200 was shot in '84 and the current 400's probably don't have more grain than the 200 did then.

In regards to film's equivalent resolution in terms of pixels, as the following link explains, the perceived quality of an image is a function of at least two parameters, resolution and noise (or grain). The lowest grain film has a signal to noise ratio substantially lower (worse) than the better digital sensors at low ISO's. Since the best lenses for 35mm cameras don't really resolve above 4,000 line widths vertically, that maximum resolution equates to about 24,000,000 intersections, or pixels. One can argue that film scanned at 24 mpxls is not interpolated, whereas a sensor's result is, but the issue of grain renders that argument moot. The grain overpowers whatever additional resolution might have otherwise been available from a non-interpolated media. As a bonus, the digital sensors provide greater flexibility in ISO speeds and handling.

Years ago, I did a decent amount of work in a darkroom, and grain was easily visible in most 8x10 enlargements (a function of film, colors, lighting, subject matter, chemicals, etc.). As for this particular project in this forum thread, you might try taking a photo (transparency or low-grain film) of a roughly 5x7 enlargement of your negative, although with some work, you'll be able to achieve the same tradeoff of resolution for less grain if you scan digitally and manipulate it on your computer, and as suggested above, will actually have more control by reducing grain and resolution only in the portions of the image that have the most troublesome grain. Just my penny and a half.

The link is D'Agostino Photography

Cheers.

Hello friend,
It will be better If you provide the original picture of sunrise photos. Also the photos after the scanning. Then after comparing these two photos I can suggest something better.
I think there is some problem with your scanner. Please check it.

Thanks
Stitadhi Ratha

Is it true the the sharpest picture or poster a 35 mm (best film in the market for example) can make is 8 x 10 in case one wants to present them in a gallery show? Nothing larger than that?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back