Poster Quality Shots

florotory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.florotory.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was trying to decide which forum section to post this question in so hopefully this is the correct on. If not please move it. thank you

Ok, So I've been wanting to take some shots of my 2 motorcycles and make some posters to hang in my garage. I've never tired to turn pictures into poster before. I would like to know if I have the correct gear to do so. Also settings that I should use. I may try some outdoor shots and I may do some using my garage as a photo studio if possible.

Equipment:
Nikon D7100
35mm Prime
50mm Prime
18-55 kit lens
55-200mm lens
70-300 lens

Thank you

How large are the posters? Canvases are more forgiving than regular prints from my experience.

How large are the posters? Canvases are more forgiving than regular prints from my experience.
Definitely, but they're not as forgiving of dirt and grime. If this is a 'clean' garage, canvas would be fine, but if it's one where you do a lot of work, then I would hesitate to suggest canvas. A good 'working' garage option would be to have them printed on vinyl; this can be done by any sign shop. As far as size goes, you could make very large posters with your camera because the larger the print, the greater the distance from which it should be viewed. A better plan might be to determine what the size of the poster should be based on the available viewing distance (Mr. Google can help you with that) and go from there.

I would like to know if I have the correct gear to do so. Also settings that I should use. I may try some outdoor shots and I may do some using my garage as a photo studio if possible.
For body and lenses I think you're set. You don't list any lights or modifiers though.

Getting a large print doesn't have to cost a lot. Inquire at the local Staples or any local printer. You could purchase an inexpensive poster frame with plastic front for a few bucks, but the plastic might reflect a glare. If it was vinyl snugged over a frame, and no cover, then no glare.

As to the settings; I guess the best one will be whatever gives a correct exposure.

I would like to know if I have the correct gear to do so.
Your gear will work just fine.

Also settings that I should use.
1. Lowest ISO the camera will go to.
2. If the composition will allow it, choose an aperture that's not at either extreme end of the lens' capability. Choose the lens' sharpness "sweet-spot" instead, again if possible keeping in mind the composition.
3. Get the camera rock-steady. Use a tripod or beanbag or anything else that will get the camera rock-steady.
4. Use a remote shutter trigger. If you don't have one, use the self-timer.
5. Use mirror lockup to get REALLY rock-steady.

Remember that posters aren't generally viewed up close where the nose is almost touching the print. They're typically viewed at a distance, so if they look decent on your computer screen, they'll look good printed also, even at very large sizes.

sorry for the late response. I didn't realize I had any replies.
As far as the poster size id say maybe standard size poster which I believe in most cases is 24x32"
The garage stays pretty clean i do work on the bikes in there but its not that dirty of work. the garage seals fairly well. I think if I was going to use canvas that would be more for in my house as a better looking material.
Later tonight Im going to try a few shots to see how they come out.

Good idea. In fact, that is such a good idea, that I think you should show us and receive our blessing before you blow $30 on a poster-sized print.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back