Posting photographs while Im travelling?

manda

instigator of pottymouthedness
Reaction score
Website
www.lyptonvillage.org
Has anyone got any experience with being a netposting junkie while travelling?
As some of you know I ahve a photoblog and Id like to keep it going while Im away but I dont know how that is possible.
Its going to kill me to not be able to show my family and friends photos of what Ive been doing while Im on my big trip.

Has anyone got any ideas about the best way to try and do it? I wont camera upload software or editing software, so...

yeah, i dont know what to do!!!! anyone posted pics online while travelling?

it will drive me crazy if i cant...

there is always the internet cafe.. im sure you could plug a usb cable in there.
or maybe you could try and make some friends, and ask to use their computer.. :D

I'm assuming you will be bringing your digital because film will make it a little harder. It would also be easier if you had a laptop but it doesn't sound like you have one. What you are going to have to do is rely on internet cafes or get friendly with some local and persuade him/her to let you use their computer. ;) You also have to get a memory card reader that doesn't require software to work. Make sure it uses a USB 1 connection because not everyone has a USB 2 port. This will allow you to transfer files from your camera to a computer without your camera transfer software.

Once you have a memory card reader you are going to have to ask the internet cafe if they will allow you to temporarily put your pictures files onto their computers. Depending on the internet cafe you go to they may not allow to you put anything on their computers because they are afraid of people giving their computers viruses, etc. If they don't allow transferring then you might be able to just upload files straight from your memory card reader, but it will be a slower process. I recommend getting used to your card reader before you leave.

Another solution would be to go to a photo lab and see if they can put your picture files on a CD. Of course, it's going to cost you but with a CD you can easily upload files straight from it. Also unless you go to a really good internet cafe they probably won't have editing software like Photoshop so you have to be more careful about getting pictures correct straight from the camera.

If you can't access your photoblog overseas you can always try to email your pictures home to your friends and family. You will have to have a universal email account like yahoo mail or hotmail. Although the problem with these services is they have a limit on how many megabytes you can attach at one time so you may have to send many emails in order to send all your pictures.

But no matter what you need to find a computer with internet access, so show a little skin and start flirting with the locals if you can't find an internet cafe. ;)

haha!
thanks guys.
harper you are a lot of help, ill look into the memory card reader.
im looking at getting an ipod, would i need the reader for that?

i will have friends computers i can use in some countries but not all, so i may just have to wait and see if i can do it that way.

thanks for all your help!

manda said:
im looking at getting an ipod, would i need the reader for that?
I don't know if an ipod can accept data from camera memory cards, but you should ask the salesman or if anyone here knows. From reading the product description is seems like ipods officially only support MP3, AAC, WAV, MP3 VBR, Audible (6), and AIFF formats. I don't know if it can store jpeg files. If it can store jpeg files then it should be able to transfer them back to a computer. Although a portable hard drive to store your pictures and free up your memory cards would be a good idea.

I have [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AKVHF/qid=1091331670/br=2-1/ref=br_ts_slwth_th_1/104-2945291-0107923?v=glance&s=photo&n=697758]this memory card reader[/ame]. It's a SanDisk 8 in 1 reader since I have different memory cards but you can just get one that only reads compact flash for example. All you do is plug it into any USB port and the computer should automatically recognize it. Also I forgot that USB 2 is backwards compatible with most USB 1 ports so you don't have to worry about which to get.

Basically if you don't anything that will transfer your files from your camera to a computer then you should get a memory card reader. You should also get it soon and learn how to use it so that you won't have problems oversea.

If you'll be in Poland... in Szczecin (Stettin) give me a call, you can use my comp :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back