Posting Photos on Facebook...Bad Idea?

There is an app called My Flickr which allows you to pull photos from flickr to facebook (adds a tab My Flickr to your profile), and within it I get it to display the 5 most recent images, and 5 photos chosen at random. It also publishes photos to my news feed when I add them to flickr, just like the facebook photo system does.

I do upload my photos on facebook however I do put a large watermark on them.

Then people won't look at it. (Depending on how large). Distract the viewer and they'll just think you're a crap photographer.

Last edited:
Facebook has got into major trouble in Canada for violating privacy laws and maintaining data and photos related to members long after they have left facebook.

Personally, I have refused multiple invitations to be on Facebook and would certainly not put anything on that site either info. or photos.

skieur

Facebook has got into major trouble in Canada for violating privacy laws and maintaining data and photos related to members long after they have left facebook.

Personally, I have refused multiple invitations to be on Facebook and would certainly not put anything on that site either info. or photos.

skieur

There's also an issue regarding how Facebook gives out user-information to application developers. It's an insane violation of privacy, under Canadian law. As it stands we're on the precipice of declaring Facebook, as it operates now, illegal. Though, given the large user base for Facebook in Canada, it's probably something Facebook will try to fix before being banned here. And that'd suck. I use Facebook a lot; it's heavily used by students and student organizations at UBC.

Thanks Garbz for the tip. Must check that out. I'm usually too lazy to update that small album with my Flickr photos.

I also completely agree about the watermarking. Put a huge watermark on there, and you just wreck the image. I personally never pay attention to heavily watermarked images.

They've fixed that now.

I use Facebook as a great marketing tool (as well as connecting with my friends). After a Rodeo I load the photos of the contestants that were purchased from me and Tag them in the photo. It seems to be a hit! I also have a Facebook group.

I agree with the person that said Fear is a mind killer. I am trying so hard not to focus on who is stealing photos and proofs and more on who is supporting me and how can I show my appreciation to them. :)

Extra credit for being positive. A lot of photographers use Facebook and Myspace. Laugh all you want, but they are good networking tools that reach a lot of people. Of course everyone is different. All depends on your target audience and marketing plan.

Love & Bass

Given that two Australian girls lost in a stormwater drain the other day Facebooked for help from their mobiles and relied on a friend to call 000 for them (yeah they are idiots), you can definitely see that if you really want to connect with a younger generation without myspace you're lost.

Every month I get some guy from primary school or high school find me on facebook and say Hey, How's things, you're into photography? Cool! (except with worse grammar)

There is a girl that i know that is a model and she had many pictures on her facebook.... UNTIL it turned up very edited but clearly her in a paper for some advertisement. so im pretty sure they have all rights to your pictures and they/anyone can take them and do what ever they want with them. needless to day she does not have many pictures on facebook anymore.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back