Pot calling Kettle....."Hello?"

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I'm prolly not the best person to be saying this given my past behavior.
However, I'm a little disturbed at the amount of people yelling at new people for not looking things up, reading the rules, etc.
A lot of them are just plain mean, and it's coming from a same team mentality. I cringe sometimes just reading replies to beginners.
That's sad. It's like the people who should be most beneficial forgot their beginnings. Anyhoo, I think there are MUCH nicer ways to get the point accross.
Yeah, you get tired of saying the same thing over and over and over, but no one put anyone in charge, except those who are moderators. Moderators aren't do this. But they don't seem to be stopping it either.

Just a guess on my part, but I'm pretty sure that forums work like this:

More members mean more advertising. More advertising means more dollars. More dollars mean more cool stuff for us.

Running people off, being mean, being superior, doesn't help any of us. I'd love to see this forum get video, and other new forum trends.

I KNOW that you see the same questions come up over and over. I can't recall for sure, but I think I've been here for 6 years nows, and I know I've seen them come up over and over again. But I don't understand why we can't just be nice. No one makes ANYONE answer them.......certainly not with answers like "Look it up loser. That's been asked a zillion times lazy person". Not an exact quote but pretty damn close.

If you don't want to answer it.....if you think the person is lazy.....hey....don't answer. The person might just be really eager to learn. There are other people dying to try out their "helping" teeth.

Bottom line is we could have VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. Just a nudge to the owner!

Am I alone in seeing this disturbing trend? (That I have also been party to)

i have been on this site for a coouple of weeks now and this is exactly why i have noe said much and do all my asking on another forum.

i still dip in to read but wont be asking any questions ffear of a telling off

I noticed this a few months back, but nothing has really changed. I hate to say it but this forum is not the place it once was.

i have been on this site for a coouple of weeks now and this is exactly why i have noe said much and do all my asking on another forum.

i still dip in to read but wont be asking any questions ffear of a telling off

Please feel free to PM me if you have a question Jols. If I don't know the answer, maybe I can find someone who can answer it for you.
Honestly, most of the people here are nice. Unfortuantely they aren't the most vocal.....for the same reasons.
Hugs............

I noticed this a few months back, but nothing has really changed. I hate to say it but this forum is not the place it once was.

Hi LP,
You have been here a long time too. Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the gang beatings...... That's why I wanted to put it out there.

Please feel free to PM me if you have a question Jols. If I don't know the answer, maybe I can find someone who can answer it for you.
Honestly, most of the people here are nice. Unfortuantely they aren't the most vocal.....for the same reasons.
Hugs............

thanks very much i might just do that.

Yeah, you get tired of saying the same thing over and over and over, but no one put anyone in charge, except those who are moderators. Moderators aren't do this. But they don't seem to be stopping it either.

Ok so I will probably be banned for saying this but....

What Mods?

ok ok that wasn't nice. I know we ALL have lives outside of the forum and I know some of the Mods are very busy at the moment but there have been many times of late when I've logged on and there are no Mods on.

Maybe this forum needs one or two new mods, even if its just as a temporary measure while the established Mods are busy??

Oh and in case your wondering I am NOT offering to be a Mod

It's unfortunate that some of the 'old-timers' get so irritated at the newbs that come in asking the same questions again and again. To try to make it make more sense, think of it this way:

You're in a room full of 20 people. One comes up and asks you a simple question. You're happy to answer, and you answer it loud enough for everyone else in the room to hear.

Then another person asks you the same question, and again you're happy to answer, and answer loud enough for others to hear..Then the 3rd, and you start to get irritated that no one is listening..you get the idea.

It doesn't warrant a snappy 'you lazy idiot, read what's there!' response. This is just an illustration to show why it's easy to get irritated over it.

That being said..I'm working on a small 'project' to try to address most of the frequently asked questions so that if a newb decides not to read the thread/article, someone can politely point them to it for the answer to their question(s). My intention is to have it posted in the Beginner's forum and get it stickied. Once I get it in a draft form, I'll be needing help to polish it up..can I count on your help? ;)

Hey LP, I vote for you and me as mods. (That will have them rolling over in their chairs, eh?) LOL.
It's a two way street. I seem to have Mike on me every step I take, but then again, you can't see a mod for miles when a beating is taking place in the beginner forum.....except for DigitalMatt, he's spot on.
Anyway, this isn't about naming names or saying who is doing right and who isnt'. Yeah, the mods could help, but it's really up to us to police ourselves.
If one of these gangsters would stop for a second and think back to when they first started out, the first time they went on a forum, the answers, I think, would be much much much different.

It's unfortunate that some of the 'old-timers' get so irritated at the newbs that come in asking the same questions again and again. To try to make it make more sense, think of it this way:

You're in a room full of 20 people. One comes up and asks you a simple question. You're happy to answer, and you answer it loud enough for everyone else in the room to hear.

Then another person asks you the same question, and again you're happy to answer, and answer loud enough for others to hear..Then the 3rd, and you start to get irritated that no one is listening..you get the idea.

It doesn't warrant a snappy 'you lazy idiot, read what's there!' response. This is just an illustration to show why it's easy to get irritated over it.

That being said..I'm working on a small 'project' to try to address most of the frequently asked questions so that if a newb decides not to read the thread/article, someone can politely point them to it for the answer to their question(s). My intention is to have it posted in the Beginner's forum and get it stickied. Once I get it in a draft form, I'll be needing help to polish it up..can I count on your help? ;)

And that would be SO COOL. Just a, "hey, I found your answer here. It's really cool. check it out".

That takes less time to type than some of the diatribes I've seen lately basically calling new people every name in the book.

Exactly..kill 2 birds with one stone. If we're lucky and the newbs read it, we might not even see the 2nd bird all the time. :)

It would come up again the next week and the next and the next, but a simple, "Hey, look over here....it's cool" would work.
Instead what we get is, " Didn't your ignorant butt do a search? It's there if you do a search,you newbie." And no one steps in publically to say anything.
That is what I hate.
I learned so much here years ago. Now, if I wasn't so established, I'd be terrified to post.

And if we could get the membership up, maybe we could get a wiki and a video vault.
But........with the gangster mentality..........I just don't see it happenening. And it's a shame, because this forum is my favorite forum.

Whilst I agree with us policing ourselves we do need the Mods to overlook us, a forum is a lot like a school classroom, take away the Teacher and you will soon have anarcy

Whilst I agree with us policing ourselves we do need the Mods to overlook us, a forum is a lot like a school classroom, take away the Teacher and you will soon have anarcy

I'm a tree hugging lib, and I don't think we need all that. I think we just need to check ourselves, and call others on their own bad behavior.

The mods, though selected by the owner, are not all that different. The gangsters act like mods all the time. I get so confused I have to look it up and I've been here forever. But yet, there they are telling people to quit being lazy, switch to other forums, read the rules, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back