Potential employers 2

photong

Typo Queen
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
You may want to read this first to refresh, but you don’t have to: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25668

To update, I didn't get the job, not even an interview.

This is what he said after I applied AGAIN to him because he reposted his job advertisement. I more or less asked for an answer on what he is looking for because he obviously didn’t find it the first time. He didn't even answer me on that question, so how am I going to help myself get a job?? Geese. I want to say something back, however I'm not sure what. This could be good or bad and I of course don't want it working against me.

So is it just me, or is this guy a jerk? Not to mention discriminating even though it seems he has plausible reason to dislike my college's photography program.

I did not alter these messages.

He said:

Angela....

An Algonquin degree generally rules out most applicants....sendme a half dozen jpgs of your best work and perhaps prove me wrong.....

Paul

PS......I do have 1355 applicants...

I said (sent him 6 of my best images):

Thank you for replying,

If I may ask, why does an Algonquin degree rule out most applicants? A lot of those students were great last year (I went to this year's exhibit). I honestly wish I knew what you wanted in an assistant.

Attached are some files.

Enjoy,

--Angela

He said:

Unfortunately 99% of Algonquin grads don`t have the stuff to cut it in the real world. I have only been happy with one of ten I have hired...my clients are very demanding. The best candidates tend to come from Fanshawe and Humber....whose courses are far more rigourous........and teach a lot more than taking photographs.

Nice shots...but sorry, you didn’t make the cut for interviews....Paul

What's your opinion?

he's a jerk...keep looking, perhaps its a blessing you didnt get hired if you would have had to listen to him degrade your degree constantly if you worked for him.

good luck with the job search!

I have seen the same thing. That degree is not considered real..

I was doing some computer programming over the internet and applied for a job. They told me to get some real schooling...

Steve

Hes gotto be harsh, although hes still a jerk.

My honest answer is, keep trying, but dont have him as your only option.
The first place I went to, was a complete no before he had seen my work, and was just humouring me.
I went back to them, and the same again.
I went somewhere else (somewhere MUCH better) asked about work experience, they offerd me a saturday job, just...keep asking, you have talent, youll make it.

I know im only 17 and am not the best in buisness, but 60% of the people on this forum should be real working photographers, and your among them, so keep trying :)

Looks like you wouldnt want to work for this guy anyway. The fact that he said if anyone calls to check on your apps wont be accepted is just wrong. Hes basicaly saying that if anyone is persistant for the job he doesnt care. This would be obvious by the fact that no one got the job the first time it was posted.

Keep looking and keep shooting. Be open to different positions that you might have never thought of applying for. Any experience is better than no experience.

Thanks for the support :) Yeah, I definatly wouldn't want to work for the guy. Although it would be an awesome job because he's THE commercial phtoographer in the city he works in. No wonder he's a jerk. Maybe he's filled with an ego. I understand he wants the best he can find, and I certainly am not that, but wouldn't you think he'd want to help someone out? he's kind of old too. The picture on his website of him is creepy. He looks like a pervy old man in a way.

Ok I feel bad for saying that lol I'm just being spiteful now :D

There's not much in this city. Everyone in my city hires their wives, sons, friend's kids etc.

sfaribault said:
I have seen the same thing. That degree is not considered real..

I was doing some computer programming over the internet and applied for a job. They told me to get some real schooling...

Steve

How is my degree/diploma not real? Because it's not professional experience?

If you ask him "what are you looking for" he won't tell you because you can very easily pretend to be that just to get the job! :mrgreen:
But if you ask him "was there anything I did that I can improve on for the future" he may be more helpful.

That being said, he looks very busy so probably won't help you. I think that's aprt of the reason why he was so blunt. He hasn't got time to think about how he's saying things, just what he's saying. He does seem like he's got his head up his arse though. I'd say you're better off without him because somehow, I think you two would clash. :mrgreen: :hug::

Good idea ferny. I never thought of that.

Yeah I agree...we would clash. I'm kind of hard to fit in nicely though. :/ bllaaahh... :) *hug* :)

He's probably looking for someone like him. My dad just went to a big recruiting education conference and apparently all these old farts just look for people who remind them of themselves and have the same qualities.

Plus we're generation Y, and I reckon any employer (who still thinks the old fashioned way) has got to be careful of us. He probably doesn't even see or know what the gen Y people do that doesn't tick with him. If i were you, I might just call into his shop (if he has one) in a months time or something and look and see who he hired. I bet you it'll be someone older and more like him. Well I hope it is anyway,,,, at least that'll be some consolation to you.

But good luck for the future, you'll make it if you keep pushing!

I thought we were generation x? lol

Hahaa..he still hasn't found anyone. Or maybe who he found enver worked out. Aww, too bad. I guess his 1300 applicants all sucked! Including me :)

I should email him.

lol...and apply again. To piss him off.

Ok, jk, I wouldn't do that. But I will email him, and maybe he'll say, "COME WORK FOR ME!! PLEASE!!" and I'll say, "No way jerkoff!! :)" (with a smile on my face, yes)

EDIT: If he replies, I'll post it. Don't worry ;) I don't expect anything soon. He'll have 1300 applicants to go through again. Poor guy. He must be frustrated. I'm assume he'll either delete my email right away, or read it and not reply. plus I'll be in Chicago from the 4th to 7th.

I can't understand how so many people can apply and not a single one is "up to his standards". Maybe he's just collecting all your details and will come round the houses of the applicants with a big sack and kidnap you all. :crazy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back