Potential New Photographer Here!

Eclipse27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
curious, of all the elphs available, why the SD1000? i have the SD750... my screen's bigger than yours ;)... hahaha (really, it's a joke. People on the internet read malice on everything that they don't agree with.)

from one Noob to another.. lol... welcome.

Have you thought about a DSLR yet? I just got the Nikon D40 and only owned one digital camera before this one, and I absolutely love it. It is much more fun to take pictures, the quality of photos is amazing, the ability to use manual adjustments is great, and the auto if good as well. Just a thought, only because after being on here you may become bored with that P&S and may want a DSLR like most others on here.

Like a foreign language to me. I like how Nikon doesn't seem to list their prices anywhere on their website.

Someone recommended the Powershot to me, as it is a cheap camera, good for getting started.

If you wanna learn about the technical aspects of photography and yet don't wanna spend too much, then you might be better off with the Canon A series.

Welcome to The Photo Forum! That is a nice little camera, but have you thought about a cheap, low-end digital SLR camera? They will be more expensive, but you will have so much more creative reign over you photographs. You will be able to make your subjects "pop" out more than a P&S, and the high-ISO quality will be much better (P&S ISO quality is always atrocious).

Of course, if you don't have the cash, or you don't want to lug a 500g piece of metal and plastic around, then the SD1000 is absolutely fine, but I think you should be aiming towards a DSLR. Enjoy your new hobby! :D

Do the powershots have the manual feature? (I'm assuming so..) If so, it's good practice.. even if the images aren't what a DSLR would produce. Good practice for a good price. When you get used to it's manual features then I'd definitly suggest you upgrade to a DSLR.

I've read that you can get great pictures from just about any camera ($40 no-name digitals notwithstanding). Personally, I enjoy using an SLR (Film or Digital -- both are great). I'm a big fan of low-light photography, and I have yet to find a point-and-shoot that does that as well as an SLR.

That said, I wouldn't give up my Nikon Coolpix because I have a DSLR. It's nice to be able to point and shoot from time to time and not have to lug around the SLR.

Get a Powershot A series (A590IS) instead. The camera you have chosen has NO MANUAL CONTROLS! That greatly reduces it's creative capabilities.

Get a Powershot A series (A590IS) instead. The camera you have chosen has NO MANUAL CONTROLS! That greatly reduces it's creative capabilities.

I couldn't agree more. I started my more-in-depth study of photography with an A540. It had enough manual control to let me try things, but the small lens/form factor limited me when I had learned the basics. I've moved up to a Rebel XT and it is great. It's never bad to start small, but like others have said, moving to a DSLR is amazing. You don't have to start there, but it sure opens up a lot of closed doors. Best of luck. Photography can be fun with just about any camera. :)

Most reactions

Back