Potential Problem "Im Worried"

Yes I shoot in Raw & the fine/small setting for JPEG. I use the smallest setting for JPEG so they are easier to post and email. Although the pix I posted are only in JPEG fine/small. BTW there is a lower JPEG setting (Standard/small) I cant imagine what that would look like!!

I have no idea how great the 40D's sensor is. I just have a hard time believing that BH would send someone a camera that's cranking out seriously pixelated photos like that. I just tried to recreate the effect on my camera (which is only 2MP more), and get about the same pixel dimensions as the OP (3.1MP), but not the same pixelization as they are experiencing.

I would like to see a RAW file from this camera as that would definitely answer some questions.

Yes I shoot in Raw & the fine/small setting for JPEG. I use the smallest setting for JPEG so they are easier to post and email. Although the pix I posted are only in JPEG fine/small.

Take a shot of a anything colorful in your house, in RAW, and shoot it to same email addy if you can.

Yup. So long as its the complete unedited version. Which should be a 10MP photograph.

I have no idea how great the 40D's sensor is. I just have a hard time believing that BH would send someone a camera that's cranking out seriously pixelated photos like that. I just tried to recreate the effect on my camera (which is only 2MP more), and get about the same pixel dimensions as the OP (3.1MP), but not the same pixelization as they are experiencing.

I would like to see a RAW file from this camera as that would definitely answer some questions.

I do know (from what I have read) that the 40D's sensor is the same technology that was implemented into the EOS Rebel XTi. It isn't the exact same sensor, since the XTi did not have ISO 3200 (H) capability, but it is built on the exact same technology according to Canon. From my understanding, the XTi's sensor is a very good one.

I do know (from what I have read) that the 40D's sensor is the same technology that was implemented into the EOS Rebel XTi. It isn't the exact same sensor, since the XTi did not have ISO 3200 (H) capability, but it is built on the exact same technology according to Canon. From my understanding, the XTi's sensor is a very good one.

I was under that impression also...

I got good news and bad news.

The good news, there is nothing wrong with your camera:

The bad news, you are going to have to start shooting at your maximum settings (even if its not RAW). I don't know what you are doing, but whatever settings you have, are causing havoc with these files. I understand that you want them small enough to email, but all resizing should be done OUTSIDE of the camera, not in it. I'm not saying you have to shoot in RAW, but you want as much detail as possible. It's better to cut away, then try to add back in, which is what you are doing here. And no, the above photo isn't the original, there are quick tweaks in PS, but still, that isn't possible with a photograph that has the lack of information as those on page 1.

Last edited:
You're half wrong, and 100% lacking in tact. :D

does every picture you take end up looking like that? Or just a couple?

ANDS, go through your camera manual and make sure you have the camera on the best quality JPEG setting if you aren't shooting RAW like mentioned. You might also want to go through your settings and make sure you don't have sharpness and other settings bumped insanely high.

ANDS, go through your camera manual and make sure you have the camera on the best quality JPEG setting if you aren't shooting RAW like mentioned. You might also want to go through your settings and make sure you don't have sharpness and other settings bumped insanely high.

WTF.

Most reactions

Back