POTM nomination

Some interesting points have been aired, thanks for looking and forwarding your opinions and suggestions. My feeling is it is generally speaking quite a complicated process to nominate and so perhaps many people are put off doing so by this.

If it would be possible to instal a nomination button, this might lead to more involvement. Yes, flooding could occur as a result but my take on this is rather too many than too few: the wheat will soon be sorted from the chaff when voting.

Well, if you are willing to go through the month's worth of photos and nominate (normal process) those with five or more likes, I'd be willing to support dropping the three maximum nominations. I'm sorry, but a significant amount of the time it takes me to set up the voting threads is dedicated to tracking down the thread links that weren't entered with the nomination (even a moderator - you know who you are). [/RANT]

As others have mentioned, differentiating which photos in a series are getting the likes, likes related to overall IQ vs subject matter (kittens and puppies or scantily clothed women) would be a challenge. I am all for more participation, but I'm not sure this is the way to get there.

I agree that the number of likes a photo generates would create a popularity contest rather than a quality/content contest. A simple one-step process would greatly improve participation. A personal friend voiced irritation at the number of steps it took him to nominate and I do not think he has nominated any since. Would a drag-and-drop feature be easier/more economical than adding a "button"? You'd probably want to keep the limit on the number allowed though.

If "likes" were the trigger to POTM, the number of likes I issue would drop significantly. I think that they are two different animals ("like" vs. POTM).

I agree that the number of likes a photo generates would create a popularity contest rather than a quality/content contest. A simple one-step process would greatly improve participation. A personal friend voiced irritation at the number of steps it took him to nominate and I do not think he has nominated any since. Would a drag-and-drop feature be easier/more economical than adding a "button"? You'd probably want to keep the limit on the number allowed though.
After a few nominations, I learned the steps that are required, and even though I sometimes make a false start, I can usually do it in about three steps. If we can't invest that much effort in nominating, then maybe the photograph wasn't worth nominating.

How many steps and how difficult/annoying it can be depends a lot on what device your using at the time.

After a few nominations, I learned the steps that are required, and even though I sometimes make a false start, I can usually do it in about three steps. If we can't invest that much effort in nominating, then maybe the photograph wasn't worth nominating.

Personally I agree with that sentiment, but I think the original intent of the thread was to generate more nominations and participation from members in the process. Either people are not involved enough to want to reward quality with recognition or they are too lazy to make much effort.
Hats off @snowbear for taking charge of the whole ordeal.

Well, if you are willing to go through the month's worth of photos and nominate (normal process) those with five or more likes, I'd be willing to support dropping the three maximum nominations. I'm sorry, but a significant amount of the time it takes me to set up the voting threads is dedicated to tracking down the thread links that weren't entered with the nomination (even a moderator - you know who you are). [/RANT]

As others have mentioned, differentiating which photos in a series are getting the likes, likes related to overall IQ vs subject matter (kittens and puppies or scantily clothed women) would be a challenge. I am all for more participation, but I'm not sure this is the way to get there.

i had to find the POTM thread to make sure i had the name, thread link, and picture in my post...i did!

Personally I agree with that sentiment, but I think the original intent of the thread was to generate more nominations and participation from members in the process. Either people are not involved enough to want to reward quality with recognition or they are too lazy to make much effort.
Considering that most of the members don't even take the effort to vote, making more nominations doesn't seem to be the problem that needs solving.

Considering that most of the members don't even take the effort to vote, making more nominations doesn't seem to be the problem that needs solving.

If we could teach the morals of work ethic, we'd be rich and hire people to make our nominations for us:1247:

If we could teach the morals of work ethic, we'd be rich and hire people to make our nominations for us:1247:
Hmmm... I see an opportunity here. :bek181:

I think one of the problems is that threads can easily get lost with new postings. If most people do what I do, I always click on 'new posts' when I come to the site, and if the POTM thread is buried far enough I won't see it. Also when people vote it does not bump the thread and the same with likes.

It would be great if it is possible to make it a sticky in 'New posts' which I doubt since I think its just a search. Or even sticky in 'Active topics' if possible. And if this is possible I think all challenges and contest should automatically become stickies.

I think this is one of the huge problems. People that become accustomed to looking at only certain portions of the forum and neglect all the rest are missing quite a bit of information.

Last edited:

i had to find the POTM thread to make sure i had the name, thread link, and picture in my post...i did!
You're not it.

Some of the work ethic I see at my employment is worse. A lot worse.

Most reactions

Back