Potraits of a friend!

Lula

Cracks-Up At Crazy Titles!
Reaction score
Website
lullabygal.blogspot.com
Hi
I wanted to do portrait photography and friend of mine wanted some "cool" pics, we meet and here's the result!...I had some issues about lightning....
I'm looking for some good critique and good tips, thanx in advance-

Notice:
I dont have a studio to work on...
and I did some PS work on some of the pics....

Image6.jpg

new1.jpg

new4.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

new2.jpg

new3.jpg

You know how I feel about them. :oops: :mrgreen:

They're good. I don't like the fifth one though. It makes his head look an odd shape and his posture isn't very good.

ferny said:
You know how I feel about them. :oops: :mrgreen:

They're good. I don't like the fifth one though. It makes his head look an odd shape and his posture isn't very good.

Thanxx Ferny i was feelin lonely..hahahahahaha

Humm, ya, i agree that shot doesnt make justice, the posture is weird
hehehehe ;)

Well... the Washburn is a pretty cool prop. You're right to be concerned about the lighting. I don't think you'll get what you're looking for using the one flash.

If I had to do this with you equipment... right now... I would try to find a large, natural light source. If you access to a car gargage, throw open the large door and position your model just inside the opening, out of any direct sunlight. You will likely need some sort of background though.

Then, just look at how the light is falling on your model. Try squinting a bit to help see where the main light is falling. When you see some interesting lighting, snap snap.

Have fun!

-Pete Christie

i agree with ferny - i dont like the #5 one - but you did a great job with rest of them, sofia! i cant wait to see more of your portraits!-:)

first one and the last one are my favs-:) :D

I really love the last one, and I think it would look great in black and white as well.

:D thanxx for the replies!!!

Christie Photo thanxx for the tips ;) i'll try that ;)

and
Thanxx Alison and Anua, i'm glad u like it! ;) ;) I'll try b&w on the last one ;) :mrgreen:

there is nothing special with your pictures. I think they look dull and no expression from the model. plain pictures taken by a regular compact camera.

I'm with Alison on this one. I really like the last one best. I like the natural interaction of it.

thomas said:
there is nothing special with your pictures. I think they look dull and no expression from the model. plain pictures taken by a regular compact camera.
Hi Thomas,
Could you please point me in the direction so that I may see your portrait gallery?
Thanks ever so much.
Cindy

Oooh.

Sounds like someone is doubting thomas's qualifications to criticise other people's photographs...

Just one point - good criticism is a different skill to good photography. Really good photographers are probably helped by a good critical sense, as it will help them to see how they can improve their own photographs, but you don't have to be a good photographer to be able to give good criticism. ( In my case I reserve the right to complain about other people's snaps even though I am rubbish at it myself, hee hee!!)

However, negative criticisms baldly stated aren't very constructive, unless some idea of how to improve the shot is also suggested.

Perhaps thomas could have suggested that Lula could experiment by converting the photos to B & W by reducing the colour saturation to zero on all 3 layers, then playing with contrast etc on the various layers, to see if a more moody looking shot could be created?

There is a distinct difference between critique and slamming. In this case you have a poster with a total of one post, and instead of commenting on the many fantastic photos in the photo gallery or the critique board, this poster decides that he should post his/her rubbish -like slam against this one particular poster.

Yes, I think we would all have prefered, "you might try this". If you will notice, the very best photographers on this board, JonMikal, Digital Mat, Alison, Mentos and many many others, NEVER slam ANYONE like that much less a long standing participant in this forum. They suggest solutions but I've never seen one of them utter "dull, uninteresting, and especially nothing special about your pictures"

Sorry, I would like to see this "one post photography guru's" photos. They must be some kind of fantastic to come on to an international board like this and smash someone who at least has the balls to show their photography.

Now do you understand why I am miffed?

elsaspet said:
There is a distinct difference between critique and slamming. In this case you have a poster with a total of one post, and instead of commenting on the many fantastic photos in the photo gallery or the critique board, this poster decides that he should post his/her rubbish -like slam against this one particular poster.

Yes, I think we would all have prefered, "you might try this". If you will notice, the very best photographers on this board, JonMikal, Digital Mat, Alison, Mentos and many many others, NEVER slam ANYONE like that much less a long standing participant in this forum. They suggest solutions but I've never seen one of them utter "dull, uninteresting, and especially nothing special about your pictures"

Sorry, I would like to see this "one post photography guru's" photos. They must be some kind of fantastic to come on to an international board like this and smash someone who at least has the balls to show their photography.

LOL, new to the board myself, but not new to internet bulletin boards. I wondered if this sort of thing went on around here.

Only point I'd like to make is that I find it easier to analyze other's photos than my own--simply because in my own images my palate is already ruined. I know the circumstances, the idea I am trying to convey, and can overlook flaws--so I'm already at a disadvantage. In the process of analyzing someone elses work I learn and take away lessons to apply to my own work.

I agree that Thomas seems to have dropped a bomb and then tucked tail and run....

As far as the images above, I agree with the lighting assessment. It leaves the subject in a stark light that does render a "photojournalistic" edge. I like the composition a whole lot, but there is no warmth to me. I am not skilled in anyway shape or form in alternative lighting technical aspects, so I am not one to suggest a solution, sorry.

I do however have the "balls" to post my own images though if you'd like to return the criticism--one in "Critique" section under "Beautiful Girls" and one in the general photo section under "First (well second) Post".
:playball: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice Post Mountainlander.

It was never my intention to hijack the thread. Just throwing a tanty. Lula already admitted a problem with the lighting, and this area is, in my opinion, more for showing than critique. Suggestions are great but to use his/her first precious post here for that????? Well it was trollish to me.

Thanks for your comments, and I will go look for your photos. Welcome to the board and I promise not to vent anymore. LOL.

Cindy

elsaspet said:

Oh... no explaination necessary. I was about to post the same, but you handled it MUCH more diplomatically than I could have. Thanks for speaking up!

Lula, let us see the results if you get a chance to do additional photos.

-Pete Chrisite

Most reactions

New Topics

Back