Potraits of a friend!

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Lula, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Lula

Lula Cracks-Up At Crazy Titles!

Hi
    I wanted to do portrait photography and friend of mine wanted some "cool" pics, we meet and here's the result!...I had some issues about lightning....
    I'm looking for some good critique and good tips, thanx in advance-

Notice:
    I dont have a studio to work on...
    and I did some PS work on some of the pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

You know how I feel about them. :oops: :mrgreen:

They're good. I don't like the fifth one though. It makes his head look an odd shape and his posture isn't very good.

3. Lula

Thanxx Ferny i was feelin lonely..hahahahahaha

Humm, ya, i agree that shot doesnt make justice, the posture is weird
    hehehehe ;)

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well... the Washburn is a pretty cool prop. You're right to be concerned about the lighting. I don't think you'll get what you're looking for using the one flash.

If I had to do this with you equipment... right now... I would try to find a large, natural light source. If you access to a car gargage, throw open the large door and position your model just inside the opening, out of any direct sunlight. You will likely need some sort of background though.

Then, just look at how the light is falling on your model. Try squinting a bit to help see where the main light is falling. When you see some interesting lighting, snap snap.

Have fun!

-Pete Christie

5. anua

anua TPF Noob!

i agree with ferny - i dont like the #5 one - but you did a great job with rest of them, sofia! i cant wait to see more of your portraits!-:)

first one and the last one are my favs-:) :D

6. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I really love the last one, and I think it would look great in black and white as well.

7. Lula

:D thanxx for the replies!!!

Christie Photo thanxx for the tips ;) i'll try that ;)

and
    Thanxx Alison and Anua, i'm glad u like it! ;) ;) I'll try b&w on the last one ;) :mrgreen:

8. thomas

thomas TPF Noob!

there is nothing special with your pictures. I think they look dull and no expression from the model. plain pictures taken by a regular compact camera.

9. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm with Alison on this one. I really like the last one best. I like the natural interaction of it.

10. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi Thomas,
    Could you please point me in the direction so that I may see your portrait gallery?
    Thanks ever so much.
    Cindy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kodan_Txips

Kodan_Txips TPF Noob!

Oooh.

Sounds like someone is doubting thomas's qualifications to criticise other people's photographs...

Just one point - good criticism is a different skill to good photography. Really good photographers are probably helped by a good critical sense, as it will help them to see how they can improve their own photographs, but you don't have to be a good photographer to be able to give good criticism. ( In my case I reserve the right to complain about other people's snaps even though I am rubbish at it myself, hee hee!!)

However, negative criticisms baldly stated aren't very constructive, unless some idea of how to improve the shot is also suggested.

Perhaps thomas could have suggested that Lula could experiment by converting the photos to B & W by reducing the colour saturation to zero on all 3 layers, then playing with contrast etc on the various layers, to see if a more moody looking shot could be created?

12. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There is a distinct difference between critique and slamming. In this case you have a poster with a total of one post, and instead of commenting on the many fantastic photos in the photo gallery or the critique board, this poster decides that he should post his/her rubbish -like slam against this one particular poster.

Yes, I think we would all have prefered, "you might try this". If you will notice, the very best photographers on this board, JonMikal, Digital Mat, Alison, Mentos and many many others, NEVER slam ANYONE like that much less a long standing participant in this forum. They suggest solutions but I've never seen one of them utter "dull, uninteresting, and especially nothing special about your pictures"

Sorry, I would like to see this "one post photography guru's" photos. They must be some kind of fantastic to come on to an international board like this and smash someone who at least has the balls to show their photography.

Now do you understand why I am miffed?

• Like Like x 1