Power Banks

ales

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello
I am thinking of buying a power bank for my Iphone and other devices, but at the same time I would like it to be useful for my camera as well. I don't know how smart these devices are, do they communicate with each other, do they determine what voltage to send to every individual device? I've read that having the wrong voltage in power bank will lead to problems ( if a power bank gives a voltage of 4.2V or less, it will drain phones battery and output greater than 5V will damage the circuits). Some say that USB socket should only supply 5v output as that is the agreed USB standard and that the camera won’t pull more power than it can use.

I'm not too picky atm, charging speed doesn't matter much and I don't intend to use the camera while it's charging. I own Fujifilm XS-10 and apparently in 2020 Fujifilm officially recommended only two PD power banks on their website: Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD and Anker PowerCore Speed 20000 PD, but I don't know how many they tested, maybe it was just a sort of mutual advertising. These two power banks seem to be unavailable where I live, so I'm thinking about Anker 633. Is that a safe option for my camera?

(Anker 633 Specs: "The 10,000mAh capacity consists of two 5,000mAh batteries that are connected in series. Devices can use 20W USB-C and 18W USB-A wired charging, or 7.5W wireless charging. Output: USB-C Output: 5V ⎓ 3A / 9V ⎓ 2.22A USB-A Output: 5V ⎓ 3A / 9V ⎓ 2A Total Output: 5V ⎓ 3.6A Max Wireless: 7.5W") I chose Anker because it is widely considered a safe technology accessory brand.

Am I overthinking all this or can a wrong power bank damage a camera or its battery?

Because at some point I will drown in batteries. I wish my large e-bike battery could charge all the devices I carry around, but unfortunately it is only focused on the engine. Every device has a battery nowadays - my phone, earbuds, camera, laptop, remote control (and every phone and camera needs its own remote control, and every device has special connectors) and I wish there was a common charging solution for all relevant devices. Sometimes I spend my whole day outside in nature and sadly some devices like headphones or Iphone mini always run out of energy before I get home. I do have an additional Fujifilm battery, which is, like every charging solution an extra weight taking up even more limited space. To me it is all consumer inconvenience and e-waste. So I wonder whether power banks provide a kind of harmonised, interoperable charging technology that I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back