Powerful image

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by ronshebar, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronshebar

ronshebar TPF Noob!

Sony DSC-P100
    ISO 400
    F5.8
    Cropping only on Photoshop

2. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    was it really only cropping or you did sharpening as well? because there is a lot of digi noise on the bird :(

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the noise can be attributed to a few things. The small sensor in the camera, the high ISO setting and the crop. I don't find it too bad though.

I think it's a pretty good shot, you captured the bird looking back at you and there is some nice detail in the feathers. I think the bird's pose could be a little better, it's kind of hunched over which doesn't make it look as proud & majestic as it could have.

4. kilifila66

kilifila66 TPF Noob!

I agree with Mentos, there appears to be a lot of "noise" in the picture, it looks almost like it has been doctored besides just being sharpened. I would say try it again.

5. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

6. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Don't worry about Jon Mikal....

anyways, this was a good attempt at shooting the bird. I am left looking for an emtional or dramatic attachment to the picture. As it was mentioned the posture of the bird is not great so that isn't working for you, however could the angle have been changed to add something to the picture?? Something to spike the imagination or bring about a story...

If you can go back and give it another shot.

7. JonMikal

JonMikal TPF Noob!

thats right, don't worry about me...just ignore my friendly reminder and keep posting without reading the guidelines :biglaugh:

8. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    I think the pic is a little washed out. You might try messing with the curves just a little.

Oh, and a comment on the rest of the thread.. While this banter is rather fun, would you guys mind taking a chill pill?

9. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Here you go, this comes straight from the guildines posted in this section:

"2. Describe what you are trying to convey in the image and what you like and dislike about it. Include as much information as possible to help reviewers get a feel for your intention, i.e., equipment used, settings, etc.

3. Critical comments are meant to help you improve. Individuals posting critique comments should be thorough, constructive and polite. Please keep this in mind: simple expressions of approval or dislike aren't enough to tell a photographer why you think a photo is good or bad and subsequently will be removed."

Don't hassle Jon, he's just doing his job and keeping this section for what it's here for. If you don't like that someone didn't like your photo or thought that it was sharpened get over it, if you can't take criticism you won't succeed. Remember people are just here to help

10. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

I will admit however, Jon... your avatar makes me feel like a little scared girl whenever I see it. hahaha

maybe your avatar scares people, makes them feel small and useless. hahaha

11. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

There is no problem with posting, but every forum has a set of rules which the owners of the forum want the users to follow. Things such as no advertising, no spamming, etc. This forum, again like most, has a series of mini forums and they can have their own rules as well. Right now you're in one called "Critique Gallery" (unless this gets moved). You will have read underneath the link you clicked to get here "This forum is for serious critique, so expect brutal responses if you post here. Please limit posts to one photo at a time (multiple attempts at the same subject are acceptable).". And when you clicked that link you would have seen at the very top of the threads one titled "READ: RULES/GUIDELINES FOR POSTING". Now, somewhere along the lines you have failed to abide by these rules and as a result the moderator of this forum has (from what I can see, repeatedly) let you know about it and given you a reminder of them. The rules are all very clear and easy to see. A couple of times links have been shown to you as well. Links to the rules which you can see the second to enter this forum.

Now, from what I can tell, you've taken offence to Jon doing his (unpaid) job. Why? You've read the rules, you use lots of forums (apparently), you appear to have a brain, so what's the problem? You have not followed the rules, which everyone else seems to be able to do.

Now, you'll probably take offence to this post and attempt to ***** off at me. But honestly, I really don't care. I'm typing this out to help back up Jon because he's right, you're wrong. This isn't intended to offend or insult, so there is no need to take it that way.

Oh, and take a look at some of Jon's photos before you mouth off to him, they are very very good and put many people who get paid to shame.

12. ©AnderGraph

©AnderGraph TPF Noob!

sorry to chip in here, ronshebar is totally out out of turn here, there was no reason to speak like that to a moderator who was just gave you friendly reminder of the guidelines (since it appeared you were offended by people not say "wow im knocked out by your image") thats hardly "dictatorship" is it?

now, onto the critique, the focus is of, sharpness is lacking, detail is virtually non existent, it has no depth, noise also kills this image and it is not very well exposed but then, i suppose you don't have much control over that shooting on automatic with a point and shoot do you you? of course, you know all this being a multi award winning photojournalist dont you? (which is of course a blatent lie, see below for details)

thanks for sharing your image and im truly sorry you have taken offense at what has been said, remember its just one click of the shutter and people are critiquing the photograph, not you, we can only make judgments on the photograph from your post but people will make judgments when you fire off like that.

this quote can be found here
    http://www.sonycams.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23355&postcount=8

you have either been really busy the last 2 months what with winning all those awards or somebody is telling porkie pies

sorry to have pull you up on that ron, but its just not cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.