Powershot A520 - JPG help!

cumi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 4 Mp camera (Canon PS A520) and my photos are much too soft (having shutter speed at less than 1/100 and correctly set focus)! I think, the size of the jpg-files are also far too small (about 500KB) even at superfine mode. There must be a heavy lossy jpg converting somewhere.

What am I doing wrong?

cumi

P.S.: ISO is mostly on AUTO.

hmmm 500kb is a little small for a 4mp camera. My 2mp camera takes on average 650-820kb jpeg files. But then again, I guess each camera can have their own compression standard.

However, digital photos are notorious for not being sharp.

Has this problem always been there... or is it something that's slowly/quickly appeared? And also are you sure the shutter speed was that fast... 1/100th?

What is your shooting situation? And what mode do you have the camera mode set at? I have the a510 and it take relatively nice pictures. The files are usually a bit larger than 500kb and mine is only 3.2 mp. I doubt these are the problems, but is your resolution set high enough and is your MF/Macro off? Did this problem just start or has it been that way since you got the camera?

damian5000 said:
What is your shooting situation?

Pretty simple: a lot of light, focus set correctly, large DoF F=8, shutter speed c.a. 1/100

damian5000 said:
And what mode do you have the camera mode set at?

I shoot mostly aperture priority, so Av (I think).

damian5000 said:
I have the a510 and it take relatively nice pictures. The files are usually a bit larger than 500kb and mine is only 3.2 mp.

I get above 1MB if I increase the ISO to 200 or 400. My files are also about 500KB, but very often even above 400KB.

damian5000 said:
I doubt these are the problems, but is your resolution set high enough and is your MF/Macro off?

Yes, MF=Off, Macro=Off and the resolution is on maximum= 2272x1704

damian5000 said:
Did this problem just start or has it been that way since you got the camera?

It's like this since I bought the camera. I realised only now, as I saw pics from my collegues, which are much more sharper.

cumi

It may be your camera if your colleges are fine and yours have been like this since you bought it. I think if your shutter is less then 1/100 you should use a tripod. Try decreasing your depth of field to around 3 and increase the shutter to at least 1/1000. If you want your pictures closer to 4Mps you'll have to set it to shoot in RAW format.

I found a sample gallery here DP Review and those shots look pretty good for a point and shoot camera.

Are you zooming in all the time?

Maybe there's a problem with your zoom.
My P&S started to die after about 8 months (heavy use) and I could only use it at the widest zoom. If I zoomed in at all I couldn't focus very well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back