Powershot G7

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by laguano, Feb 17, 2007.

1. laguano

laguano TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I recently got the Canon Powershot G7, and i really love it. Do you personally think it's a good camera for me? also, anything i should know about this camera, such as hidden features etc. One last question, does it have a timelapse feature?

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    how can we tell if it is a good camera for you if we don't know what you want / need in a camera ?

3. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The G7 is a very nice point & shoot camera. When I say point & shoot, I mean non-SLR. It has a sharp lens, optical image stabilizer from the company that pioneered it, and even a hot shoe so proper flash can be used.

It has a couple of weaknesses though:

1) It is limited by its lens, since it isn't interchangable. You can get thread-in lenses, which give more capability, but optically, they won't give the same quality results as SLR lenses.

2) It uses either an LCD or EVF instead of a real-time, optical image of what you are shooting. This can be a disadvantage for shooting fast action.

However, why would you want to second-guess yourself? You'll give yourself a complex if you wait for everyone else to approve of your choice of camera.

I can only assume you did some research and had good reasons for choosing this camera.

Welcome to TPF!

4. gubak

gubak TPF Noob!

If you are a beginner in photogarphy, this is the perfect machine for you!

5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Nope.. It has a real viewfinder much like a rangefinder.... All G-series cameras have an option of using either the LCD or look through the optical viewfinder. Note.. it is a viewfinder and not a prism viewfinder like in SLRs. If you need a TTL view (much like in macro shooting) you need to switch to the LCD.

I personally would rather have the G6. There are a few things that made the Canon G series a wonderful line of cameras that were left off of the G7 for some unknown reason.

* G7 has a slower lens. f2.8 instead of f2.0
    * All G series prior had swing out and rotating LCD. The G7 is stationary
    * The G7 uses a smaller shorter life battery. The G series prior uses the same battery that is used in many of their SLRs.. the B511. It has almost twice the operating power.
    * This is the BIGGEST missing functionality. The G7 does not shoot RAW. All G series prior shoot RAW.

There are a few other "missing" stuff, but I can't remember the others.. those are the ones that matter to me. Of course, the G7 is newer, more mpixels, newer digi processesor, etc... I just don't think its specs meet up to the Canon "Gseries" of the past.

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ya, that's a big one.

You are the one who owns the camera...and the manual...so you tell us. ;)
    My guess is that the camera itself does not, but if you tether the camera to your computer and use 'Canon Remote Capture' software...then you probably can.

7. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

You do realise you answered your question in your first sentence, right? :)